The Tower of Babel - Languages: Isn't this story unhinged?

by james_woods 88 Replies latest watchtower bible

• james_woods
    james_woods

Besides the obvious fact that it is historically ridiculous - can anybody make any sense out of this story?

God was somehow AFRAID that man was developing too much technology? Just because they were building a tower?

God just decided to mess up mankind with different languages to set them back culturally and technically?

But, later on (in our day) - God doesn't care if we build the Saturn 5 and send it to the moon?

This story makes absolutely NO SENSE.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Another fairytale, as told by Moses, in the book of Genesis. Humans have the power to destroy the planet, literally, and Jehovah was afraid because they built a multi-story structure from mud bricks.

• tornapart
    tornapart

James.. the story only doesn't make sense to you because you are a wibbler..

• clarity
    clarity

Hi James.......good question!

Isn't it strange, when you're in it seems perfectly logical.

See god didn't want people to stay in one spot ... so he made them all talk 'funny' hmmm ...I'm getting a visual of thislol.

If that would really make them leave town and stop building a tower... well how much time would pass before they'd start again? Not much of a delay I'll guess!

And why keep knocking the people down? Was that the only way god could win the bet!!!!!!!

When the eyes snap open ..... the fog lifts!

c

• rocketman
    rocketman

God appears to see this Tower building as an arrogant affront, as an effort on the part of men (traditionally thought to be spearheaded by Nimrod) to direct worhip toward themselves.

According to Josephus: "It was Nimrod who excited them to such an affront and contempt of God; he was the grandson of Ham, the son of Noah."

Flavius Josephus, Life and Works of, translated by William Whiston (New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston), p. 39.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

James, you might find the following interesting:

http://aryanarchaeology.blogspot.ca/2012/02/tower-of-babel.html

That sure makes a whole lot more sense to me...his is an interesting Bible, which I am currently in the process of doing more research on.

• N.drew
    N.drew

To be living in a world where communication is difficult is to be seeking to understand one another better. To understand one another is a worthy pursuit. On the other hand to be unable to communicate well can work well for squelching the plans of the few to enslave the rest of humankind.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I find it kind of funny how god confused all their language, only to make it far more difficult for his one true organization on earth in the 20th century to spread his lifesaveing message to all the people speaking these languages! Seems like pretty poor planning to me!

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

And people wonder why I think people who believe the Bible are slightly unhinged.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It's just one of the many stories in the Bible to explain a natural process.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit