The Tower of Babel - Languages: Isn't this story unhinged?

by james_woods 88 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

I'm saying I wasn't there.

OK, you are just begging me to ask: Were you there when the supposed Babbel events happened?

Let me throw a quote here, just to set the premise: "... they were actually holding themselves back from progress."

• N.drew
    N.drew
    OK, you are just begging me to ask: Were you there when the supposed Babbel events happened? Let me throw a quote here, just to set the premise: "

Good serve!

God is higher than heaven I can't see HIM (please forgive me Lord God it's a public prayer but my head is covered fyi)

I can see people. I know how they think (sometimes) and I can see that they love to follow the leader or not.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    You will reap what you sow implies that will is not free.

I don't see how.

That statement basically says that actions have consequences. I don't see how this negates free will in any way.

• N.drew
    N.drew
    I don't see how this negates free will in any way.

I think the power to make choices is not the same as free will, is it?

I should probably look up what "free will" means.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, just to get back on topic - (I find I don't have to do that as often lately as before):

Here was my point:

First, I think anybody with any reason can see that this is not how the various human languages developed. For one thing, some of the most common languages on earth today (English being a prime example) are far too modern to have come from some Babel myth.

But Second - my real point was beyond that. The point was that there is simply NO LOGICAL REASON for god to have done this to the tower builders. It actually makes god look childish and mean - and then, beyond that, it DID NOT WORK. Technology, including pyramid building etc. TOOK PLACE ANYWAY even with different languages, and apparantly god made no further efforts to stop it.

• N.drew
    N.drew

I think "there is a time for eveything" applies to Babel.

Ecclesiastes 3:1

1 There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven—

2 A time to give birth and a time to die;
    A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.

3 A time to kill and a time to heal;
    A time to tear down and a time to build up.

4 A time to weep and a time to laugh;
    A time to mourn and a time to dance.

5 A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
    A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.

6 A time to search and a time to give up as lost;
    A time to keep and a time to throw away.

7 A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;
    A time to be silent and a time to speak.

8 A time to love and a time to hate;
    A time for war and a time for peace.

9 What profit is there to the worker from that in which he toils? 10 I have seen the task which God has given the sons of men with which to occupy themselve

God confused the language so the people would scatter, isn't that why? Together they might have either moved too fast or moved too slow, who knows?

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    First, I think anybody with any reason can see that this is not how the various human languages developed. For one thing, some of the most common languages on earth today (English being a prime example) are far too modern to have come from some Babel myth.

Thank you for bringing this up. Languages that exist today evolved. There is no supernatural source required. It is well documented.

Indo-European Languages.

But Second - my real point was beyond that. The point was that there is simply NO LOGICAL REASON for god to have done this to the tower builders. It actually makes god look childish and mean - and then, beyond that, it DID NOT WORK. Technology, including pyramid building etc. TOOK PLACE ANYWAY even with different languages, and apparantly god made no further efforts to stop it.

Or, as has been said by many on here already, we've already been to the Moon. Outlaw said something funny about it a while ago, I just don't remember exactly what it was.

I think it was that the higher you move up floors in Bethel, the more languages are spoken. 1st floor you start off with English. By the time you've reached the 20th floor, no one understands each other anymore.

• N.drew
    N.drew

God's purpose is that God does not lose a single one. So whatever God does it is done to protect LIFE. Everlasting life.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

James, you make the point really well but the thing that stands out to me most is when you say 'anybody with any reason'

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Why would a god want the people's languages scattered so that they could not build the tower? God was afraid of the tower??? God was jealous of the tower??? There is just no rational reason why god would want to interfere with their progress unless he wanted to hold them back from progress. Later, god does nothing to hold people back from making technical progress.

James, you've got it wrong. YHWH saves the human population from succumbing to the ruse of the Serpent once again. YHWH had already destroyed the world by flood because of the Serpent's handiwork. There was a point of no return if the building project was completed. The BUILDING, as in an inanimate object, would replace YHWH without the population's knowledge and the Serpent would be the one really being worshipped instead of God. This was all laid out in my original response.

Worshipping something like a carved image or a large monument is one of the Serpent's main weapons of control. If he can get them to worship something that doesn't exist then he gets God's throne because the people believe they are worshipping the most powerful God. The Serpent is all ego and nothing else.

The story has nothing to do with hindering the humans, it has to do with hindering the Serpent who has a pretty potent plan for enslaving God's people.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit