I'm not a camper. I don't see the point in pretending you are homeless

by wha happened? 141 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, some people like steak, some like lobster -- I love both! It's the same with wilderness camping vs the luxury route -- some have a preference, but I'll go either way, as long as it's done right.

I mean, some people don't like chocolate! We're all different, and that is the spice of life. :D

Oh, and wha? The worst bug scare I ever had was with the 2-inch palmetto bugs (ie, flying cockroaches) in our luxury hotel w/spa in the bathroom, in Florida. "Indoors" --- but,, I would NEVER go camping in the US, except for the NE (sorry, Zid) - we have no venomous snakes here, and only a couple of potentially deadly arachnids, but those are found IN THE CITY. Ticks are always my main concern, but you can pick up a tick just walking through some grass or bushes in your backyard.

t

Oh yeah, I forgot the spider in our cottage in Bar Harbour that was the size of a silver dollar, and had crawled inside my sweater.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'm climbing into a bubble for the event

• talesin
    talesin

lol! Wish I could be there, I know y'all will have a fab time. And I love Vegas! :))

xx

tal

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

hey, maybe I should just stay in NV and run to Vegas afterwards

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Nevermind. In hindsight, this crap is not worth a comment. I think expressing the human adventure and experience is simply a lost cause here.

If you want to be old and grumpy, be old and grumpy.

- Lime

• talesin
    talesin

wha - Have you ever done the zipline?

Lime,,, such is life! It's the moon,, a lot of folks are a bit 'off' today,,,,

t

• Glander
    Glander

As a kid, going camping was the most wonderful thing I could imagine. This was real po'folk camping. we had no tent, we brought bedding from off the beds at home and put them down on the ground. We brought the cooking utensils, pots and skillet that we used everyday at home. We would leave the San fernando Valley when Dad got off work on Friday evening and drive about a hundred miles into the Sierra Mtns. Usually, Kern River, picking out a campsite by the car headlamps. We would make a big pallet of bedding and go to sleep looking at the Milky Way. When my sister and I woke up Sat morning Dad and Mom would have a fire going and be frying potatoes and onions, a little bacon and some eggs....Great memories.

Today, I want plumbing, hot water and a bed at least 18 in. off the floor.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

The zip sounds like fun. I was trying to convince wifey to do the one in Vegas, Fremont street.

Glander I was the same. Did countless camping trips with Dad, cub scouts and boy scouts. I used to set up a tent in our backyard or just a sleeping bag underneath our patio. I spent so many nights out there. Now it just boggles my mind that I ever did those things.

Lime I'm grumpy but at 48 I wouldn't say old, even with all the mileage

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, I saw that on some TV show, and would LOVE to do it. I wanted to try zipline for a while, and LV is the perfect place ...

t

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "but,, I would NEVER go camping in the US, except for the NE (sorry, Zid) - we have no venomous snakes here, and only a couple of potentially deadly arachnids, but those are found IN THE CITY. Ticks are always my main concern, but you can pick up a tick just walking through some grass or bushes in your backyard. ..." Talesin, above...

Hey, I'll take venomous snakes over ticks, any day of the year!! At least, with a "snake stick", you can scare them out of your way. Ticks - yuk!! I still have marks from two tick bites where I didn't get the filthy things' heads out...

At least with snakes you can pretty much see 'em coming - using sensible precations, that is...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit