my DF-ing letter - opinions

by raxxxx 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• dog is god
    dog is god

You have every right to send that letter. You don't know who will read it and "get it". Send it to your local paper and all the NYC papers. You can help a lot of people. Backlash sure weigh whether it is worth it. I love all the historical light. Can't argue with that.

• Razziel
    Razziel

Carefully consider the consequences of sending a letter. Then do what makes YOU happy. Do what gives YOU closure. Make a decision that YOU can live with tomorrow with no regrets. If that means sending the letter, then do it, don't worry about it, and DON'T look back.

Make your decision and go.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

i don't plan on writing a letter, but if I did I think it would be for the sole purpose to plant seeds into those that might read it.

A few things that I would include would be a reference to Steven Hassans, Combatting Cult Ming Control and also a reference to "Cognitive dissonance" and how it would apply as far as doubts that have crept up and how CG made it possible to put it aside or dismiss it as a "Jehovah will reveal it in it's own time"

I clicked over and read your DA letter levingwt and it is well thought out.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Good letter, but you might want to clean up the grammar and spelling a bit...

I apologize in advance, but here's what I would do with that letter, if it were mine...

To the body of elders in xxxxx.
    I no longer wish to be recognised as a member of the Jehovah's Witnesses religion, due to the fact that I no longer believe this organisation truly represents Jehovah, because :

• I have experienced greater levels of unconditional love/friendship with people I am supposed to hate - the so-called 'worldly people' - than I found in this congregation. The congregation has shown a most unchristian coldness, a distasteful tendency towards gossip, and the arrogance of presenting their own views as being those of the 'society'.
    • [I would suggest, "presenting their own views as being those of Jehovah"...]
    • I've always been interested in history and have recently been studying the history of Jerusalem, as well as taking an interest in archaeology. As a result of my research, I simply cannot accept some of the teachings of the Watchtower Society which I have subsequently become aware of, following my baptism. The Watchtower Society's teaching that Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 B.C. instead of the date universally accepted by accredited bible scholars of 587 B.C., is not being presented in an honest manner.
    • The theory about earthquakes being on the increase has no scientific backing whatsoever.
    • The idea that the Watchtower Society [as Jehovah's Witnesses] is the only organisation doing a "world-wide" preaching work, is also biased and untrue.
    • Changing doctrines numerous times shows lack of consistency in teaching... As does adapting doctrines merely to obtain more believers. Neither of these actions are truthful or honest. I know that certain scriptures talk about the 'light getting brighter' – that is true - but the bible does not talk about 'light changing from dark to light and then to dark... and then to light again'. 'Light getting brighter' implies that there would be at least light at the beginning, not a complete change of the doctrine back and forth every now and then (for example : organ transplants; blood – now we are able to take blood fractions – with no scriptural backing).
      There are more reasons, but there is no point in mentioning all of them. I wish I could say that I found all of you to be loving and kind, and that I would hope the best for you, but that would be an overstatement and only partially true. I wish you no ill will but I cannot be happy for people who are not honest, who are biased and display a most unchristian favoritism by showing love only to certain congregation members, rather than to everyone in it. It was very depressing, attending the kingdom hall and seeing the cliquishness - the "private clubs" - that abounded within the congregation.
    • Due to the knowledge I have obtained about the history of and nature of the Watchtower dogma, I an firm in my resolve, so please do not contact me with the intent of making a "shepherding call", nor with any expectation that I should "repent". I will shortly make arrangements for a meeting, in case this letter does not suffice as clear statement of my decision to disassociate myself.
    Yours in the true worship of Jehovah God,

Hope this helps...

Zid

• rory-ks
    rory-ks

I would agree with those who are trying to discourage you from sending a letter of disassociation.

It's a good subject for discussion in general, so I gave it its own thread.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    If there is even a single person you would like to rescue from the WT, writing a letter is a very bad idea, IMHO.

.... and in mine too.

The only people who will read your DA letter are a bunch of elders who will turn their brains off at the first hint of apostasy, then announce that the rest of the congregation, including your family, should treat you as mentally diseased and a minion of Satan.

Theocratic Warfare can work both ways.

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Since you asked for opinions, I wholeheartedly agree with leavingwt.

• witchtowerwitch
    witchtowerwitch

Why send a letter??????????Law school 101 class says,,,,,,,,,,,never put anything in writing.I suppose their are special circumstances where this might be appropiate but for the most part,are you not playing right into their hands?You could just leave and go off and do your own thing!

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

Why write a letter to people who have no power or authority over you. You're free now so just walk away to your new life.

peace

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Good letter. No ranting. Not too much detail.

Who knows, you might just save an Elder. Send it. If nothing else, it's True and cathartic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit