my DF-ing letter - opinions

by raxxxx 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• raxxxx
    raxxxx

To the body of elders in xxxxx.

I no longer wish to recognised as one of the Jehovah's Witnesses due to the fact that I no longer believe that this 'organisation' is truly representing him because :

• I have experienced greater and unconditional love/friendship with the people I am supposed to hate 'worldly people' than I did in this congregation. People here are gossipers, presenting their own views as of the 'society'

• I always took big interest into history and have recently been studying the history of Jerusalem as well as took interest in archaeology and I simply can not accept some of the teaching of 'The Watchtower' which I was not aware of before my baptism. The teaching of Jerusalem being destroyed in 607 B.C. and not 587 B.C. is not being presented in an honest way.

• The theory about earthquakes being in an increase has no scientific backing whatsoever.

• Idea that I was being led to believe about Jehovah's Witnesses being the only organisation doing the preaching work is biased and untrue.

• Changing of the doctrine numerous times shows lack of consistency in teachings... adapting to get more believers does not show honesty. I know scriptures talk about 'light getting brighter' – that is true but it does not talking about 'light changing from dark to light and then to dark... and then to light again'. 'Light getting brighter' implies that there would be at least light at the beginning not a complete change of the doctrine back and forth every now and then (for example : organ transplants; blood – now we are able to take blood fractions – with no scriptural backing)

Probably there are a few more reasons but there is no point in mentioning them. I would like to say that I will always love you all and that I wish you the best but that would be an overstatement and only partially true. I wish you no ill will but I can not be happy for people who are not honest; biased and showing love only to certain member of the congregation and not everyone in it. It was a very depressing experience going to the kingdom hall and seeing all of the private clubs everywhere around. I really hope I will not hear from you soon and make not that if I will repent... I will make arrangements for a meeting so please do not try and give me a shepherding call...

Yours faithfully

What do you guys think?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey raxxxx!

A belated welcome to the forum.

Well written DA letter, and to the point.

Isn't is great to be able to leave on your own terms instead of allowing them the perverted satisfaction of punishing you with a DF. Although the announcement and effect is the same.

I assume you are still revising and strategising around family and friends issues?

Best wishes for you and yours

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Pretty good letter I think, you might want to mention that you've come to realize that the true gospel of the bible and its direction toward its

preaching work is not what has been taught by the WTS. which has been an adulterated and aggressive commercialized version entailed with

much corruption.

I like the way you've taken on your personal initiative to stand your ground and express you thoughts in a perfectly clear and honest manner.

• jemba
    jemba

Welcome Raxxx, so good to see someone being upfront and honest with the JWs when so much sneaking around and dishonesty happens behind closed doors. Im envious of the position you are in being able to hand in this finalisation of your JW ties.

Cant wait to see how it goes.

Jemba

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You have JW family members.

If you didn't, I would say send your letter.

Sending the letter announces to all JWs, including your family, that you are the big scary APOSTATE that the Watchtower has been warning them about at every second goddam meeting for the past 130 years. That is what the Watchtower wants you to do.

If you think you might still be able to have an intelligent conversation with a Dub after you send the letter, you might just be mistaken.

You can ask questions to make them think... but when you tell them stuff, including your opinion, they go into flight mode and start chanting "Get behind me Satan!" to themselves.

• tornapart
    tornapart

You do realise by sending this letter you will be shunned by everyone as if you were disfellowshipped? If you are alone or your family is behind you on this then I expect you could deal with it. You will need some kind of support system outside of the WTS, friends and family or it could be a very lonely place. All the best!

• raxxxx
    raxxxx

tornapart - yes I do know that... I am ready... finally. Got a whole plan. Letter to parents, letter to girlfriend and her mum and letter to BOE. All sealed. Packed and ready for a new adventure. Have got a few 'worldly' friends... and I have been privileged to have friendships with those people for many, many years. Now or never!

• undercover
    undercover

It is a nice letter. To bad they won't read beyond this:

I no longer wish to [be] recognised as one of the Jehovah's Witnesses due to the fact that I no longer believe...

Actually that's all you really need to say. Any explanation for why you no longer believe will fall on deaf ears. And if you think about it, why do they need an explanation? You know why you're leaving. If you're to the point of DAing yourself, make the cut quick and clean and move on. No explanations necessary, especially to anyone who would ridicule you for your decision.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I no longer wish to recognised as one of the Jehovah's Witnesses

If the rest of your letter helps you in your own way, then be done with it. They will only focus on the above part of the letter and the rest might as well say "Satan is my master" as far as they are concerned.

If you want to make a point (and it really isn't necessary) then put that within the context of the letter so that they have to read to find it.

Try starting with your last paragraph first about "always loving you guys" and go into your points without making a conclusion. Then tell them that you no longer wish to be one of them. End with the sentences about "making arrangements for a meeting."

But don't put much more thought into it, because even hiding the statement within the context doesn't mean they will read the letter in a way that allows them to consider your points.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

People who write letter are apostates.

Being an apostate is completely different than no longer being a JW.

You should know this before you send a letter.

If you're trying to achieve anything other than becoming an apostate, a letter is ill-advised, IMHO.

(Disclosure: I wrote a letter. Nobody read it, not even my own brother.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit