Help! HLC member coming

by PrincessCynic 63 Replies latest members private

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Thanks for the update PrincessCynic, I was wondering what happened!

That's interesting, the HLC only offers 'moral support' if the baby needs blood? Sounds like they are in full CYA damage limitation mode.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

thanks for the update - hope all is good and you're blooming!

All very intersting and importantly sounds like it was a lot less stressful than you/we thought! Good it's out the way and you don't need to worry about it anymore.

They told me that as a Witness my pregnancy automatically became 'high risk' and as such I would require consultant-led care rather than just midwife-led. They pressed me to make sure I get a consultant.

so if I understand this correctly the elder is saying you can insist on having the care of a consultant (costly scarce resource) because they want you to threaten suicide (by refusing blood in a life/death situation)? Wow! And have little or no advice about your baby in such a situation either?

Get the best care you can although I guess the issue with trying to be seen by the consultant is that you can only do so by taking a non-blood stance, and when you see the consultant he'll clearly view you as wasting his time if you then tell him the truth.

hope all goes well

mmxiv

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks for the update PrincessCynic.

The reason they were so uncomfortable about your question is that they know they are powerless. In England a doctor can apply for a "Ward of Court" order very quickly and easily, even by a telephone conversation with a judge in an emergency.

There is no way an English doctor will hesitate to administer blood to a child if he deems it essential with or without parental consent. If only other countries took such a strong position in favour of the interests of children.

It sounds like you are handling things really well. I'm sure everything will be fine, please let us know.

• nugget
    nugget

I had a baby in the UK and they don't give blood transfusions unless it is vital. There isn't enough blood in the system to dish it out willy nilly. Speak to your consultant on your regular visits and talk to him/her about your concerns. People in maternity have your interests at heart they don't have a secret agenda but they do know what is best for you and your baby. Work with the medical team and they will help you to have a safe delivery.

Just before I left they were stressing the importance of pregnant women making sure that they have up to date medical directives signed and held to ensure that in the worst case scenario they could insist that they kept to their stand. The HLC are not there to make sure you have the best treatment, they are not trained medical professionals they are religious enforcers. You do not want them anywhere near you when you are in hospital.

You are having a baby and they are your priority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit