Anyone been to a meeting after a drink...or three?

by MMXIV 23 Replies latest jw friends

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I recall going to the second half of a Thursday night meeting after what was meant to be a cheeky after work beer (three strong beers downed quickly on an empty stomach). I would have been ok had a caring elder not decided to grab me for some encouragement afterwards.

I hoped the faint odor of smoke on my clothes (smoking in pubs was still the done thing in those days) wouldn't be noticed but hard to hide alcohol on the breath. I tried to say very little and talk in a way that avoided me beathing over him. As I was speaking so quietly he moved closer into my personal space thinking this was some kind of confession I was making. I had to gain control, took a step back held out my hand to shake his in that polite way and scram.

It was a close thing that could have induced much council and interrogation.

Anyone else go to a meeting after drinking a little / a lot?

mmxiv

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

haha YO.... Mr. Falcon has given TALKS half in the bag. I believe it is known as going "Rutherford".

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

"Going 'Rutherford'" - ROFL!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

on Sunday. We hit a champagne brunch and walk in to the KH with a nice buzz back in the day. Almost made it tolerable

• awaken2004
    awaken2004

LOL I knew an elder that used to get tipsy before meetings. Tipsy on a daily basis actually. He was constantly being removed from his eldership for this and for telling the secrets of the congregation members to friends/family. From what I hear though Jah's holy spirit finally deleted him as elder for good. Thank you Lord! :)

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Now knocking them back after meeting? That was on a weekly basis

• undercover
    undercover

LOL I never went Rutherford, which I assume to mean partaking of distilled spirits. I was more of a Jesus. I drank wine before going off to be persecuted and ostracized. At least that's what most meetings felt like...

• anezthy
    anezthy

Honestly... I thought I was the only one to go to the KH after a fews drinks. It was the only way I could just sit down and watch the commercials.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I'm not a drinker at all but toward the last months of my Career as a JW, I'd have to hide a container of Beer in the car due to the panic and anxiety I'd started suffering toward the last. I'd gotten to the point of only being able to attend Sunday meetings, it was too much to attend the evening meetings after work. I didn't have the juice to endure the anxiety that meetings invoked. On Sundays I'd go out to the car during the break between the talk and the WT study and have a couple of mouthfuls just to calm the flip flops in my stomach. It really helped. I almost came to think of it as "merciful liquid from Jehovah" It's so pathetic to look back now and think that that's what it took for me to be able to get through a meeting. As soon as I made my mind up never to attend another meeting the panic and anxiety instantly went away and hasn't returned. I can easily see how someone could become dependant on alcohol if they kept that kind of behaviour up for any length of time.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think back in the 70's many in my congregation went to the meeting after drinking a couple of beers.

People used to drink beer and wine with dinner in the old days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit