Explain in a FEW word's why the 607 date is incorrect.

by XPeterX 102 Replies latest jw friends

• binadub
    binadub

ONE Bible Reference:

2Kings 23:36 and 24:1:
    Jehoiakim was king of Israel for 11 years, the last 3 of which were in servitude to Babylon.
    So Israel was conquered by Babylon in Jehoiakim’s 8 th year, but not desolated. Israel kings continued to reign in servitude to Babylon until Jerusalem was destroyed years later in Zedekiah’s reign (11 th year).
    (See also 2Chron ch36 and Jer. Chs 25, 27 and 29.)

Nebuchadnezzar destroyed Jerusalem in his 19 th year (2Kg. 25:8)

ONE Compelling Astronomical Evidence (fixed date):
    Astronomical diary VAT 4956 pinpoints Nebuchadnezzar’s 37 th year to 568/67 BC.
    That makes his 19th year when he destroyed Jerusalem = 587/86 BC

~Binadub

Einstein said to make it as simple as possible, but not simpler. (I think it was Einstein.)

• castthefirststone
    castthefirststone

607 is false because djeggnog says it's true.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

sebastious quotes a Watchtower letter that states:

Given the pivotal date of 539 B.C.E and the subsequent release of the Jews in 537 B.C.E. ...

Thing is, they have never offered any evidence for their claim that the Jews returned in 537. In Insight, they claim that "it is very probable that the decree [for the Jews to return] was made by the winter of 538 B.C.E. or toward the spring of 537 B.C.E". However, the winter of 538 B.C.E is not even in the correct year of Cyrus' reign.

The correct year is actually 538. Josephus indicates that the temple foundations were laid in Cyrus’ second year (Against Apion, Book I, chapter 21), and Ezra 3:8 places that event in the 2nd month (Iyyar), corresponding with May of 537 BCE. Ezra 3:1 says that the Jews were “in their cities” in the 7th month (Tishri) of the year before, corresponding with October of 538 BCE.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

what ever happened to 'scholar'?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Captain Obvious:

The 70 weeks of years just.... Isn't there.

Actually, the '70 weeks' 'prophecy' isn't relevant to the 70 years. However, it is another prophecy that has been incorrectly co-opted by Christians as a so-called 'Messianic prophecy pointing to Jesus', when it actually does nothing of the sort.

See http://www.jwsupportforum.com/index.php?topic=2659.msg37702#msg37702.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

"If you can't explain it simply you don't u n derstand it wel enough" Albert Einstein"

No, you have it backwards.... its not my responsibility to prove 607 wrong..... is theirs to back up their stupid calculations... which they will never be able. cuz its all a farse.

"So please give a good reason not to hit you?"

• 2tone
    2tone

Who is the audience we would make this short argument too?

I like Cedars point the best but its easily trumped with that Satan influences all of the historians into giving a wrong date

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@castthefirststone:

607 is false because djeggnog says it's true.

While I do concur with your conclusion here since it is valid, this is not the reason I believe 607 BC to be true, but the topic set by the OP for this thread asks for folks to "explain in a FEW [words] why the 607 [BC] date is incorrect," so beyond this post, I cannot really comment since I don't believe the 607 BC date to be incorrect without potentially derailing this thread by being off-topic.

@djeggnog

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well done DJeggnog !You restrained yourself !

Would you like to start anew thread "Why 607BCE is the true date for Jerusalem's destruction in a few words". It should be possible to post something for Dummies like me that is succinct.

• sabastious
    sabastious

DJ, you are overthinking it, as usual. Have you ever thought that maybe the 70 years was not a literal number, but rather a description of the events? How can you possibly reconcile in your brain that God would allow such a conspiracy to take place? To test your faith? Ha! I find it exhilarating that the Jews were actually in Babylonian captivity at all. There has been a lot of conflicting evidence to the Bible stories and I am happy that the Bible actually does point to some real history. The fact that the duration of captivity is different in history doesn't discredit the Bible, because the Bible is not a book of dates. Nor is it a book of chronology. Dates and numbers are symbols first, and dates and numbers second.

Seven is supposed to represent God/Godly truth right? Well 70 is 7 x 10. 10 is a facinating number in the Bible:

• The Beast of the Revelation has 10 horns
    • Noah was the 10th generation from Adam
    • The Lords Prayer has 10 stanzas
    • There were 10 original commandments
    • There were 10 plagues in Egypt
    • Numbers 14:22 speaks of 10 rebellions in Israel
    • Duet 23:3 speaks of a "tenth generation"

Historically the number 10 is supposed to signify law. The Jews were supposedly in Babylonian captivity for breaking God's Law. So, given the archaelogical evidence, I would say that the 70 years are actually symbolic and always were. To a student of the Bible, such a contradiction with history should be expected, not hidden from. Stop hiding from the truth, friend.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit