How Will the Society React to the Hundred Year Anniversary of 1914?

by slimboyfat 56 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's only a couple of years away now and what a headache it must present to the GB - providing they have given it much thought already. There probably is no elegant way of presenting the hundred year long failure of the end to come; the fact that the "short period of time" of Satan being cast down to the earth has now stretched beyond any credibility. But they have to deal with it one way or another. What do you think is most likely:

1. Completely ignore it, don't mention it or acknowledge the anniversary at all.

2. A very short mention in a low key artilce about the anniversary just to draw a line under it without drawing too much attention.

3. Completely own the anniversary, make a big deal about it, and pretend like it is a great reminder that we are living in the time of the end with no hint of embarrassment at all.

4. Finally call time on the 1914 and drop it as having no scriptural, historical or rational basis.

5. Promote a new endtime prediction involving 1914 to give new impetus. (Such as 2034 because it is 1914 + 120 years "like the days of Noah")

6. Or can you think of some other strategy they might adopt?

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'll take #1, for 100 points

• pirata
    pirata

1. My votes for this. I doubt the Governing Body will every make another date prediction, it's burned the organization too many times in the past.

5. An article last year stated that the 120 years has no significance: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/201505/1/Throwing-a-wet-blanket-on-2034

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

It will be something like this...

" Yes it was 100 hundred years ago that Jesus was enthroned in Kingdom power! The last 100 years of Christian activity have brought tremendous growth to the "house of god". There are many of us who greatly desire to see God's name sanctified, and want to see the wicked destroyed and paradise restored. Many of us have anticipated this event for many years. Some with a fleshly view might reason that 100 years is too long. Remember two things. 1. God sets his timetable. 2. Jehovah views 1000 years as merely one day.

It is vital friends that we always look to this momentous event in universal history and be greatful that God's Kingdom rules.

• designs
    designs

They'll say we're just that much closer to 2019 then 2035 then 2042 etc...

Having sold the high-end property what's next on the estate sale.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I plan to toast 100 years of christ crappy invisible reign over the WT$ by taking a Back to back cruise on the royal caribean Allure of the seas!

Thats where I will be oct 2014

• anezthy
    anezthy

OMG... @stuckinamovement... They way the you wrote your definition... I felt like I was reading it right out of a JW publication. It brought me goose bumps. That is exactly how I expect them to react upon reaching 100 years of failed profecies and destroying lives. But, they could also ignore it and make believe that it doesn't matter. Thanks for the 10 seconds of believing that you are a part of the writing department. LOL!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I'm going with #3, only because at the DC there were a couple of speakers who were not at all shy about approaching the 100 yr anniversary, in fact, "how happifying it should be to all true Christians that we are already 100 years into Christ's millenial reign with just 900 yrs to go. . ."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but that was what the man on the stage said. Maybe he was "going rogue"

• Zordino
    Zordino

SIAM, where you once part of the WT writting comitee? LoL

I would go with number 2.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

3. Completely own the anniversary, make a big deal about it, and pretend like it is a great reminder that we are living in the time of the end with no hint of embarrassment at all.

Yeah, I think they'll go with #3 in the study edition of the Botchtower. And...

2. A very short mention in a low key artilce about the anniversary just to draw a line under it without drawing too much attention.

Maybe they'll go #2 in the Asleep! with a farticle about how WWI changed the world from a perfect, happy near-paradise into these hellish "Last Days" that last, and last, and last for over a century.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit