Special talk earthquakes increasing really?

by tootired2care 40 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

The speaker made a special point of saying not that there were more earthquakes, but just really bad ones i.e. the big tsunamis in the past 5-10 years. That is why we should think its later tha nwe think.

Isnt that kind of circular?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, there is an increase in earthquakes that people hear about. Back when, an earthquake might not have been noticed because no technology was on hand to observe it. And one had limited access to news. Today, every little earthquake gets more news time than the fact that we are now in the Age of Aquarius ever will.

Second, there are factors in play. I might add that the HAARP is capable of making earthquakes on purpose, often blaming them on hydrofracking so they can keep people from extracting resources. It is also possible that we are entering the Photon Belt, plus the sun is getting more active. This can also give us more earthquakes. This should peak sometime late in 2012 or early 2013--the HAARP induced ones are impossible to predict because they could make one at any time and blame human activities.

• St George of England
    St George of England

So what would the US Geological Survey know about earthquakes?

Can you really compare their knowledge to that of an Awake! graduate that gave your talk?

George

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

A brother pulled the same trick a few months ago at my parents hall. The email I sent her had a lot of links.

You can also get the USGS centennial giving almost all earthquakes recorded since the early 1900's, here.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/222168/1/I-dont-agree-with-that-evidence-so-Ill-just-ignore-it

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I've found that setting people straight with the actual facts about earthquakes really shakes them up! ... lol, sorry but I couldn't resist!!!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

As always, Paul Grundy delivers on his jwfacts.com site:

Earthquakes Since 1914

• The frequency of major earthquakes has increased about 20 times what it was on an average during the two thousand years before 1914." - Survival into a New Earth (1984) p. 23 - Emphasis added

Not until 2002 (and only after information highlighting the Watchtower's misleading use of figures became readily accessible on the internet) did the Watchtower finally cNot until 2002 (and only after information highlighting the Watchtower's misleading use of figures became readily accessible on the internet) did the Watchtower finally conceded that its earthquake claims were wrong.

Some say that any reports of an increase in the number of earthquakes are simply due to advances in technology, which enable more seismic events to be detected. The U.S. National Earthquake Information Center reports that earthquakes of 7.0 magnitude and greater remained "fairly constant" throughout the 20th century. Note, though, that the fulfillment of Jesus' prophecy does not require an increase in the number or power of earthquakes. All Jesus said was that there would be great earthquakes in one place after another. Furthermore, he stated that these events would mark the "beginning of pangs of distress." (Matthew 24:8) Distress is measured, not by the number of earthquakes or how they rate on the Richter scale, but by the effect that they have upon people." - Awake! 2002 March 22 p. 9 - Emphasis added

This still verges on being deceptive for a number of reasons. Firstly, note how it says seismologists state that earthquakes have been quite consistent during the 20th Century. Seismologists state is that it has been fairly constant over thousands or even millions of years. By using the term 20th Century, the impression can still be held by uniformed Witness members that the 20th Century was more prone to earthquakes than those that preceded it.

Here's another good resource:

The Watchtower Society Backpedals on Earthquakes
    or How Magicians Write Essays

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

00DAD - Good points!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

TT2C, you're welcome. I just reposted what Blondie posted a few days back on another thread.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Fear mongering by using only selective information is one of the devious tactics to draw attention to the WTS. own published works

and instill a frame work of fear, to construct a semblance of power and control over people .

To the misfortune of the public it worked as planned and as it was deliberately intended .

Earthquakes have not been increasing since 1914, although due to human population growth spanning the globe,

when Earthquakes do occur there is a higher amount of devastation involving humans.

Just a side note, the ancients of biblical times thought earthquakes were as result of gods expressing their anger upon and

toward the many various civilizations, not to mention torrential storms, lighting and devastating floods.

• james_woods
    james_woods

While actual earthquakes may not be increasing - it is possible that special talks on earthquakes increasing are themselves increasing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit