What came first? Atheism or the "apostasy" in JW terms?

by Silent_Scream 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• Silent_Scream
    Silent_Scream

For those who are atheists: Did you become an atheist while being a JW, then left, or did you not view them as the true religion and left, but still believed in God/Bible, but later turned to atheism?

• cantleave
    cantleave

I studied Chemistry to graduate level as a JW, and found much of what I was brought up to believe as a JW was conflicting with what I was learning secularly. I put it all to the back of my mind. I deliberately did not read the arguments for evolution. After I left the cult I re-read all the subjects that caused me uncertainty as a witness. I began to question everything I was brought up to believe. After months of reading and listening to hours of debate on the subject, I came to the logical conclusion that there is no intelligent designer.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

For me, it was left believing in the Bible (apostate) and then atheist (although atheists are considered apostates anyways). Why? Do you think the order matters?

• cofty
    cofty

For me it was JW - evangelical christianity - open theism - atheism

• Scully
    Scully

I think I was atheist before my parents joined the JWs (when I was 6) - prior to that, we never talked about god or jesus or anything religious - I'd never been inside a church nor had I been christened as an infant. I had to drink the Kool-Aid once they joined because all other options were removed.

Twenty-five years later, when I quit the JWs, I gradually found my way back to non-belief.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

For me, it was the whole shooting match.

All throughout my life I have been skeptical of the bible. . . But I suspended my disbelief because it was the right thing to do. . .

I think one of the things that drew me to JWS was that it was the anti-religion religion. I liked the religion bashing aspect.

But when the WT credibility fell apart, everything else went with it. A bunch of bullshit.

• Silent_Scream
    Silent_Scream

Do you think the order matters?

I am simply interested. It seems like most left first, then with further study became atheists. I'm wondering, was it a process, or a direct realization into that understanding..

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

NewChapter seems to be an exception. She (?) has stated numerous times she was essentially an atheist as a child.

It seems to be a process for most. For some, there is a "crystalizing moment."

• cofty
    cofty

NewChapter seems to be MIA has she gone away for Easter?

• cofty
    cofty

I'm wondering, was it a process, or a direct realization into that understanding..

It was a long process and I was a practical atheist for a long time before I would have admitted it. The problem of evil was the trigger, resolving issues around the bible, creationism etc took time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit