What came first? Atheism or the "apostasy" in JW terms?

by Silent_Scream 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

i did not become an atheist is stopped being a theist

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

My departure took at least a year of mental preparation, although it was only in the last few months I thought about the 'God' question. Before that I figured I'd just die at Armageddon. Then I actually read some Evolutionary arguments, worked things over in my head and came to the conclusion before I made the move to leave.

• anezthy
    anezthy

for me.. first Apostaty.. then... I don't give a hoot. I still believe in God though but not the God in the bible.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

In my situation, I always questioned the existence of god...from the time I was a kid. So I guess you could say I was Agnostic, but went through the motions of being a JW "just in case". During my fade from the JW's, I started delving more into Evolution, the history of the bible itself, etc. Eventually, that led me to conclude that there is no evidence to support the existence of god. By that time, I was completely out.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Speaking as someone who nearly, almost became a JW, from a church background, I am still very much in transit.

But I cannot bring myself to go to any church right now, or any place of worship, really. I even tried watching one or two televised services or religious programmes, thinking I was missing it, but found that a few minutes was quite enough and that I just didn't want it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I left becuase the JW religion was based on lies and false doctrines like the non-biblical 1914 rubbish.

At that point I beleived the Bible and that "Jehovah" was God and was real.

I searched for the true religion, and came to conclude there could be no such thing.

I examined the Bible to see if it was the word of god, and ,no, it is not.

I examined whether a god exists and there is no proof for one, or for a creator or for a supreme being.

Having been lied to all my life by the WT, I now seek for proof for anything I am going to put my trust in, for me, faith and belief were too costly to make that mistake again.

• Diest
    Diest

Being a JW trains you to be an atheist. They teach you about how wrong all the other religions are, and when you turn the logic gun back on them, You are left with some form of non-thiesm.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I found out that I didn't 'need' to believe in a god to lead a happy and fulfilling life. That extra gene....... the beliving gene.....never activated. My conclusion was amplified in a movie I saw recently a man is pursued by a pack of starving wolves finally he has hit bottom and does somthing he's never done before he calls on god for help.....he shouts out his desperation and then endures a long silence. Knowing there is no help coming he says.."f**k it I'll do it myself!"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I discovered the truth about "the truth" being a lie, and I assumed that mainstream Christianity was closer to the truth from the Bible, but I couldn't stop at examining the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses. I examined the Bible and compared archaeology and science concerning evolution and the possibilities of anything in the Bible account being accurate.

It didn't take long to dismiss the Bible completely. I briefly looked into other "believer" beliefs but science had already won me over to the idea that we didn't need a creator.

I rounded it off with personal knowledge and studies about how God lets so many people down with disease, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc. So many children, so many not-so-wicked adults who are so not deserving what any "God" out there would dish out to them.

• Joliette
    Joliette

So called JW's apostasy came first...then I gradually began to dismiss the bible period. I consider myself to be agnostic, but I'm more sure that god doesnt exist. And I am in the tiny miniority...most of my family and friends are theist. They look at me crazy when I say I have serious doubts that there is a god. Some have even cut me off, but its okay. Goes to show you what our relationship was really based off of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit