A reason why most religious theological teachings are sociologically dangerous and damaging

by thetrueone 233 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

Not superior, along side. Aligned. By the way here's a good one from the Bible:

Mark 9 - 33 They came to Capernaum. When he was in the house, he asked them, “What were you arguing about on the road?” 34 But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

I am choosing to focus on Hitchen's words. Stop ordering me around - Sab

The OP sets the subject for the thread. Hitchens picks up the theme at 1:30 in the video. Its not a general theist v atheist thread its a very interesting one about the corrosive effects of belief.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What happened to tolerance and respect for other views. Mahr has good points. I laugh. Next, he is in bitter, crazy heaven. I am repulsed.

His general verbal dirtiness and contempt for his countrymen makes his funny jokes less funny, imo.

-Sab

• darth frosty
  • thetrueone
    thetrueone

Thanks for the comments folks , I have to leave for the rest of the day but I will leave you another video collage of Hitchens expressing his

thoughts on religion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQorzOS-F6w&feature=related

Sab, I'm sorry you seem to suffering from a form self contradiction on many of your personalized ideological concepts.

You may be making yourself supposedly friendly to many by saying all deities are real, but are you truely being honest within yourself

or are you just selectively choosing when to be intellectually honest and when not to be ?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Thanks for the comments folks... Sab, I'm sorry you seem to suffering from a form self contradiction on many of your personalized ideological concepts.

I enjoyed speaking with you True, but I am not contradicting myself. I merely give the benefit of the doubt to any strong belief while remaining internally skeptical. If I challenge the belief of someone else without spending a lot of time understanding it without cynicism or being overly critical then I can't ask that of someone else for my own beliefs. Atheists operate on the notion that any deity IS NOT REAL until proven otherwise. This position coincedently puts the ball in the other person's court. They like to throw the burden of proof on the believer which is fallacious. Both parties bare the burden of proof because one says there is and one says there isn't. The question is are the atheists looking to discredit or are they actually seeking truth? When an atheist comes across something that does give empirical evidence of a known deity will they look past it because the last 1000 deities have been disproven? That's bad science.

-Sab

• jay88
    jay88

for j in {1 1000} ; do $(Sab "people need God")$j ; done

Layer upon Layer,.....It would take a million lifetimes to get through 1000 gods

The People that need god, will always have their needs met.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "The atheists also have an ideal that is very dangerous. It's the idea that we don't have a choice in the matter. They say that we are just the sum of our parts with no connection to something higher than ourselves...." Sab, post #7837 page 1

This is another example of "black-white" thinking. No shades of gray allowed, in a mental world which is separated into only two camps - "god's", and "satan's"....

As Cofty pointed out...

"As I said above any belief system that divides humanity into god's buddies and god's enemies is corrosive to relationships..."
  • ziddina
    ziddina
    "For example, I doubt the Nazis were all Christian believers. Serial murderers may be atheist. Warmongers may be atheist. ..." Band on the Run

Nearly all Nazis were Christians...

Nearly all serial murderers were/are members of the main religious groups of their respective countries - how do you think that they escape suspicion for so long???

Nearly all warmongers have been religious. Frequently their religions have initiated or intensified their war-mongering...

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Layer upon Layer,.....It would take a million lifetimes to get through 1000 gods

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Take every mythology that has ever been created and you have more than 1000 gods. So an atheist has their work cut out for them.

This is another example of "black-white" thinking. No shades of gray allowed, in a mental world which is separated into only two camps - "god's", and "satan's"....

Are you an atheist that believes in choice? How could choice exist if all we are is matter regulated by preset rules? Atheists believe that the power to think resides soley within the mind and the physics and biology that makes it possible. That we are self-sustaining and require nothing more than nutriment to continue on existing. Choosing to eat some shreaded wheats instead of making a pancake is not a choice, but a biochemical computation of a homo sapien's mind whom has evolved for long enough to convince themselves that they choose what's for breakfast when in fact after the choice is made, no other choice could have been.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit