So what do your Jehovah's Witness friends and loved ones think of the generation teaching?

by garyneal 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 00DAD
    00DAD

straightshooter: they just tell me that the change is very logical ...

Oh, yeah. It's completely logical to believe that these people are all from just one generation:

One Overlapping Generation?

Check out this related thread for a JW/Apostate Intelligence test:

How many generations do YOU see?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    DAD: They don't know everything and are trying to do what they are told to do- don't think you can outsmart the Governing Body - i know I can't

I'd have been gobsmacked by that a few years ago. Not now. I've only mentioned it once to a JW, and they responded that they always believed in overlapping generations. Eh? Yes, that they were the same generation as their parents as their lives overlapped.
  • baltar447
    baltar447

He think they are crazy like a fox evidently....

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

It took me some time to realize what you all have stated, but it is true: JWs are taught that we MUST have the answers to everything or life has NO MEANING!! Once I realized and and accpeted that NOTHING is guaranteed, that NO ONE knows the reasons for suffering, violence, etc, that life IS WHAT IT IS and we need to make the BEST OF IT I cold move on! I finally realized that the best we can do is live our lives in a way to have a positive impact on our families and society...only then could I find peace...something most JWs will NEVER know.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

My wife won't even talk about it. She can't explain it logically. I am not even fully convinced that she understands it. But above all else....she was raised to believe that the GB is God's mouthpiece. Whatever they say is coming from God. Even if what they say should prove to be wrong.....God chose THEM.....and it is her duty to obey. You don't have to understand....you just have to obey

It is thinking like that.....that scares me to death. I dont think it would ever happen, but if the GB decided that all witnesses should drink poisoned kool-aid.....there would be tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people that would die.

This is what happens when you are taught to believe that obeying the GB is the equivalent of doing God's will

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Even if this doctrine is clearly wrong, where else can they go?

Where else can we go?

Who else is doing the Preaching Work (Matt 24:14)?

Where would be follow the command to meeting together (Heb 10:25,26)?

Who taught you the Truth about the Bible? (Hell, Immortality, Trinity, etc)

Who else is "no part of the world" (by refusing to go to war or get into politics)?

Would you go back to Babylon the Great and their false teachings?

It's stll the CLOSEST thing to The Truth.

Even if "THEY" are wrong, this is still the Best Way of Life!

Doc

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The 'overlapping' a$$embĀ£y was the last big sales seminar I attended....and the missus was there too. We both sat thru' the hilarious 'overlapping' talk.

Later when I became a 'mentally diseased apostate' (that the Jehu elders should slaughter if the law of the land allowed it), we had a ding dong about my leaving the WBT$ corporation.....well, she was the one shouting, not me.....anyhoo......I said that according to the WBT$ god was going to murder millions of people soon, SUBJECT TO OVERLAPPING!

Her reply: 'Overlapping? What overlapping? What are you talking about?'

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho
    "Because I do not like the idea of dying, being buried under rocks, being drowned, or being killed by lava."

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"
    (Matthew 5.43-45 ESV)

why should we love our enemies is god is going to kill us with rocks, lava, flood waters (and birds) for missing some JW meetings that repeat the same unscriptural fear mongering week after week? God is a dick.

• undercover
    undercover

I got this response from an experienced elder: "What change? There was no change. Just an explanation on what is meant by the word generation. The doctrine is still the same as it's always been."

And this is exactly how the WTS wants the dubs to react to the new so-called 'overlapping generation'. The doctrine hasn't changed...just our understanding. The light gets brighter. Jehovah gives his food at the proper time.

Any doubting, any resistance, any naysaying only shows a bad attitude and weak spirit. Shun the apostate beast...for he will do you harm.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho
    Believe it or not, I got this response from an experienced elder: "What change? There was no change. Just an explanation on what is meant by the word generation. The doctrine is still the same as it's always been."

well of course, the generation is still the same - the generation will not pass away till all these things occur. Just now its overlapping generations with their start in 1914 instead of the generation of 1914 that witnessed 1914. what are you.. stupid?
    (I hope you sense my sarcasm in the above)

the really stupid part is that to a JW the above seems so simple and to the point. It actually makes the whole pile of generation shit look credible. Yet, if you just look at it, all you've done is stretch the generation of 1914 from 80 years to 160 years.

If any other dooms day religion did that the JW's would be all over them.... but they do it and the R&F praise Jah for new light.

A question I recently pondered is: "why did the WTS make the generation = the 144,000 for 18 months to only then change it to overalapping generations of 1914? Well, one explanation could be that it disconnected the obvious intent from focus.
    That is, if the WTS had just said: "uhm.... so the generatin of 1914 is all dead so Jehovah must have meant 2 generations so now you must believe that Jesus meant "this generation, and it's subsequent, contemporary generation, will not pass away..."
    it would have been pretty obvious that the oracle Freddy Franz had fucked up and now the WTS was band-aiding a failed prophecy.
    By changing it to the 144k, and THEN back to the generation of 1914 plus the overlapping generation it seems to have softened the blow a bit. I would say escept for some murmuring, it worked perfectly.

I would love to meet the psychologists they consult on how to anticipate the response of the indoctrinated to change. They must have some great stories to tell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit