Supreme Court Ruling Allows Strip-Searches For Any Arrest

by Bangalore 61 Replies latest jw friends

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This ruling creates the potential for serious abuse. Want to protest or demonstrate? Enjoy your violation by the local cops back at the station.

• james_woods
    james_woods

This ruling creates the potential for serious abuse. Want to protest or demonstrate? Enjoy your violation by the local cops back at the station

A valid point, perhaps. However, the greater issue is whether the protester was LAWFULLY arrested in the first place.

(I take it that LeavingWT refers to protestors who deliberately disobey police instructions in order to get arrested as a form of portest.)

• undercover
    undercover

I take it that LeavingWT refers to protestors who deliberately disobey police instructions in order to get arrested as a form of portest.

I'm sure. Just as I'm sure that no protestor who was within his legal rights has ever been illegally detained or arrested...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Oh never.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yes, I know. I grew up in the 60s.

But here is the deal - the SC could not very well prevent the corrections officials from strip searching inmates simply for obvious practical reasons.

The constitution has nothing to say about it, either.

Don't customs inspectors have the power to strip search suspected drug smugglers? Doesn't the TSA have this power for terror suspects?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

In Florida, inmates get strip searched if they are arrested for a felony or drug charge.

When you have been arrested, you are in jail.

I'd want to stay out of jail, its a bad place to be.

If I was in jail knowing that everyone was strip searched would mean there

was less contraband.

If they suspect you have something on you, your going to get strip searched.

Trustees that are short time, they go out and work on the roads and in the parks,

every day when they come back from work they get strip searched.

When your booked in you pass thru a metal detector, then you get a wand passed over you,

Then you get jail clothes and your street clothes are filed away.

I'm a libertarian and not a fan of the government taking our rights away, but when you are arrested

you have lost a lot of your rights, best not to get arrested.

I'm sorry and disgusted to see America become a police state.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

jwoods: " However, the greater issue is whether the protester was LAWFULLY arrested in the first place."

Have you read the story behind this court case? The guy was arrested for an unpaid traffic fine. The fine was actually paid and he showed a letter to the arresting officer attesting to that fact. He was still arrested, strip searched twice and I believe spent six days in jail. He wasn't even driving the car when he and his family were pulled over on the way to dinner.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Yes, I read that. The deal was that he had a bench warrant out on him for an unpaid fine that actually had been paid. Why it took six days to get him out I do not know. Nor did my source make clear that he had a letter showing he had paid the fine - or why the officer would be interested in arresting an innocent passenger in a traffic stop. Perhaps that officer needs to have a little internal investigation done over this?

It was unfortunate - but not IMHO worth overthrowing a basic system of jail security.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Exactly---and I believe the letter he was carrying was notarized. Seems he paid the fine, but couldn't get them to update the records. He spent 6 days in jail, and his pregnant wife and 4-year-old son heard nothing from him. TWO strip searches? For a traffic violation that was paid for? And he wasn't even driving? How did they even know he was in the car? Are they allowed to demand ID of everyone?

Yeah---he was the perfect case to take this to the supreme court. I've been pulled over, and been in cars that were pulled over---passengers didn't have to hand over ID's. I'm just curious why that step was taken.

So I guess we have to trust our dignity to a bunch of buffoons that can't update their records or read letters. I'm feeling more secure everyday. Oh well, brought to us by the same crowd that thinks vaginal probes are a good idea for women seeking to exercise their rights.

NC

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

"every detainee who will be admitted to the general population may be required to undergo a close visual inspection while undressed."

So only if they are to be released into the general population. That is released from jail or general prison population?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit