Supreme Court Ruling Allows Strip-Searches For Any Arrest

by Bangalore 61 Replies latest jw friends

• james_woods
    james_woods

New Chapter, Hemp Lover - do you realize that you are doing more complaining about the strip searches than for the actual wrongful arrest of the guy in question and keeping him behind bars for six days?

It does look like law enforcement made a mistake with this guy - but that is not an excuse to overturn basic jail security.

• Diest
    Diest

Thanks for writing the story out hemp lover. This case had such a terrible pattern and the court really messed up. It shows what a police state we live in. It is to be expected in a country with 25% of the worlds prision population! You can look to see how awesome the US is on this list of prision population. We are Number 1 but Rwanda is nipping at our heels at number 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

• Lore
    Lore

To make sure they don't sneek any cigarettes out of prison into the general population.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Are you people ACTUALLY saying publicly that you want all strip searches for incoming and transferring jail inmates outlawed???

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

" Hemp Lover - do you realize that you are doing more complaining about the strip searches than for the actual wrongful arrest of the guy in question and keeping him behind bars for six days?"

Um, no, I didn't. lol

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

" Are you people ACTUALLY saying publicly that you want all strip searches for incoming and transferring jail inmates outlawed???"

Of course not. We're discussing the Supreme Court case in the OP, which was determining whether jailers get to subject people arrested for minor offenses to strip searches. Some states/municipalities do this for minor offenses and some do not.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Um, no, I didn't. lol

Well, OK. My point was that the real outrage over this was the "arrest" itself (and maybe that officer needs to be fired) rather than really routine jail security measures.

Just an open question to the board: Does anybody know of any nation on earth that has legally banned strip searches for prisoners in their penal system?

• undercover
    undercover

I've been pulled over, and been in cars that were pulled over---passengers didn't have to hand over ID's.

A lot of people, probably most, don't know that they don't have to show ID as a passenger. But even if you do know and you're like this guy, who felt he had done nothing wrong and had nothing to hide, then you might not mind showing ID. In the mentality of , "I don't have anything to hide. I don't mind my car being searched. I don't mind showing my ID" what you're really saying is that I don't mind my rights being violated.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Nobody is saying that strip searches should be banned James. Why do you keep saying that?

My mother was arrested once for refusing to sign a speeding ticket. Should she have been strip searched? That is what this is about.

(and the outcome was nice. The city paid her $3000 for her trouble.)

NC

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

" Does anybody know of any nation on earth that has legally banned strip searches for prisoners in their penal system?"

For all offenses, even "unpaid" traffic fines?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit