Anybody here vegan?

by Dagney 82 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

I've been considering it for awhile strictly for just general overall health. I don't take any meds, and would like to keep it that way for as long as I can. I am a "all things in moderation " type of person but the more I read about excluding dairy and meat, the more I think about doing it. (and I just cooked a brisket yesterday...I do love red meat, good red meat.).

I would like to hear if anyone has successfully, (or not), made the transition, or any thoughts.

TIA.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Q: How can you tell if there's a vegan at your party?

A: Don't worry. They'll tell you.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Q: How can you tell if there's a vegan at your party?

A: Don't worry. They'll tell you.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I was vegetarian for 5 years, and that's really when I felt the best. Then I married a T-Rex......

We eat vegetarian about 3-4 nights a week, and I still rarely eat meat.

I've never thought I had enough self-control to go completely vegan. And now it would be nearly impossible. Because I am married to a T-Rex.

EDIT: @ Breck's joke

• designs
    designs

Getting there. Cooking some brown rice with veges, simmering stage right now

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

lol @ Breck's joke.

I've been a vegetarian for awhile now,mostly vegan. I find it's hard for some to make dramatic changes overnight.

A suggestion might be to have more vegetarian/vegan meals ,and see how that goes,before going cold turkey,so to speak,lol.

Read up on nutrition and find some healthy recipes that are good too. Don't worry,it's not just brown rice and steamed vegetables,although,that can be good too.

I agree,balance is the key.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Lol Breck.

Palm, I dated a vegetarian for years, not vegan, so it was really easy. I couldn't do it if I was married to T-Rex, lol.

So many conflicting opinions out there. Lately they are saying again we should be having protein every time we eat for metabolism etc.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Hahaha,I mentioned brown rice and veggies before I saw you were having that.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I did vegetarian for awhile and like palm, that's when I felt really good and healthy. "Clean" is more like it. I don't have the self-discipline to go completely vegan. My personal feeling is that it's actually not how we evolved to eat, so we'd be missing some key nutrients. More than likely, ancient man didn't eat a LOT of meat because it just wasn't always available like it is today. So you're talking probably a lot of grains, veggies, etc, with fish, fowl, or beef as an added bonus a couple of times a week.

I'm hoping to make a few meatless dinners a week... I'll have to substitute something like Boca crumbles in order for BF not to flip out and ask "Where's the beef?". I make a really yummy vegan chili, as well as vegan/vegetarian stuffed peppers...and you wouldn't know they're meatless.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I am pretty much going vegan for 90 days. My chloresterol is too darn high.

I am eating fish a few days a week, and taking a daily fish oil pill. So, that doesn't count as true vegan.

Pescatorian. I am pescatorian. Pesca = fish

what do I eat? Steel cut oats, flax seeds, olive oil in place of butter, nuts, veggies, fruits, fish and whole grains . . . and WINE. Skeeter is giving up beer and moving to wine. I now own a juicer. Every hear of a "skeeter" with a juicer? I can't tell my buddies. I'd be flogged.

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit