How to Record a Judicial Meeting

by 00DAD 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

In some states it is illegal to record conversations unless all parties are aware of the recording. A family member was defrauded by someone, recorded a phone conversation with the defrauder...the defrauded person made the FBI aware of the recording, and was told it is illegal in Pennsy. to record unless everyone approves. FYI.

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Illegal here. Not accepted in court.

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

I have no clue how they actually could refer to confidentiality, who is protected by this confidentiality? It is you who is interviewed there not them, it's about your confidential issues, not theirs, just an assumption. If you choose to spread the recording containing your confidential sins, you may do it, it's not their business at all.

I know, I know, they don't see it that way, but it's very illogical.

CP

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

• Perhaps an upfront discloser like below could be used before the meeting started.

The following phrases may be used to request person's consent:

"For training purposes and your own security your call may be monitored and recorded."

"In order to ensure excellent customer service, your call may be monitored or recorded."

"Thank you for calling America Online. To insure the highest level of customer service, this call may be monitored and recorded."

"All Blue HealthLine calls are completely confidential. However, your call may be monitored and recorded to insure quality of service."

As we see here, the quotes (taken from real life telephone operators) reflect and disclose pretty honestly a purpose of recording a call.

http://www.callcorder.com/phone-recording-law.htm

Sw

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

The best tip I ever heard is to carry two recorders. When they ask about the recording you can say that you have one, so they will ask to stop it. Then you can put the one recorder upon the table and the second one will continue to record.

They will not ask if you have two or more recorders, and then you already did you have one and stop it, they'll be relaxed after that.

Simple but very effective.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I'm enjoying all the comments you've all made on this post. Informative, funny, irreverent and more!

As far as the legality or not of recording a meeting like that I really can't see how it would ever be an issue. Seriously, what could the elders possibly do? Call the police on you?

Elder Ima Fended: "Officer, we're having a secret "Star Chamber" judicial meeting with a member of our congregation and he recorded it without our permission. We'd like you to come and arrest him!"

Police Officer: "Hahahahahahahahahaha ...... CLICK!"

Do you think they'd pursue criminal charges? If they did, (which they wouldn't), the easiest defense would be to expose their draconian "Star Chamber" judicial process and say that in desperation it was THE ONLY way that you believed you could protect your own interests!

I think any judge would acknowledge the reasonableness of that in light of the WTBTS's clearly one-sided (in their favor) policies.

In the US Supreme Court case, Paul v WTBTS of NY, Inc , one of the Supreme Court justices said this about the WTBTS's rules and regulations:

• "The Witnesses … have developed an elaborate set of rules governing membership."

Also, if the Elders DID try to pursue any legal action, it would allow the individual to expose in open court any and all ridiculous statements made by said elders in the recorded meeting. I can't see them risking it!

Let's review: In any civilized society judicial matters are open. Transcripts are kept. In the U.S. when lawyers depose individuals in preparation for trial they ALWAYS have a court reporter present to create a transcript. The WT's policy of forbidding a record of the meetings is just plain wrong. I for one have no problem breaking rules that are wrong. It's called Civil Disobedience. It's an American Tradition!

Ya' just gotta' be prepared to suffer/deal with the consequences.

00DAD

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

I know of one person who posted here that they threatened legal action and they were never announced as df'd. Are there more cases anyone knows of?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I used my iPhone to record our meeting and we got a half-decent audio file. But I also got busted - my own stupid fault for getting greedy and leaving my iPhone in the conference room after we were asked to leave. Turns out, though, that "mistake" bought us the time we needed to attend the BiL's wedding. (Our kiddos were flower girl & ring bearer so we wanted to get that out of the way before the announcement.) Anyways, the elders had to consult headquarters for further direction when they found out I'd recorded the meeting and we scored an extra week or two, then rec'd the DF verdict, appealed, attended the wedding, then canceled the appeal and were announced the following week.

Here's the long of it, including how I hid my iPhone in plain sight:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/198852/1/SBCheezits-Judicial-Hearing-My-EPIC-FAIL-REPOST-for-IE-users

• biometrics
    biometrics

Just bring in two recording devices. One old tape deck (a big one), and one spy device (like the pen). When asked about recording, surrender the old tape deck, and say "I'm not comfortable with this, but let's proceed anyhow".

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I really believe that if you are asked to meet with the elders you should avoid it at all costs. If the meeting is really just a "shepherding call" then there is really no downside to meeting with them other than the possibility of saying something that later on can be used against you. Of course, meeting could buy you some time and good-will in respects to your fade.

On the other hand, if it is a meeting with two elders sent to "investigate the matter" there is no downside to refusing to meet and a lot of good reasons to avoid the meeting.

A couple of elders will do their best to DENY or at least AVOID ADMITTING that they are investigating the matter. Don't be fooled by elders saying they are there to shepherd or encourage you. That can be the "part of the truth" they share to avoid saying they are also investigating.

I almost decided to meet with an elder recently. If you met with just one elder alone, you might be able to be sure it's not an investigation. But this guy I almost met with would have brought someone else.

You just need to stop at "you should avoid it."

I love your suggestions about asking to see where it is written that recording a JC is not allowed and how you should refuse to cooperate when they don't show you. I don't plan to bring a recording device other than a pen and paper should I ever be in a JC. I will keep this in mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit