Are you Ex's still Christian?

by joel 63 Replies latest jw friends

• JAVA
    JAVA
    I am an agnotic, which simply means "I don't know"

Agnostics get a bum rap in the United States because of honestly saying, "hey, I really don't know." It seems to make theists uncomfortable. The agnostic is not saying thesists are wrong, but religious faith is just that--faith (usually the definition of god others mapped out).

I'm not saying faith is a bad thing unless it forces itself on others with various outcomes to non-believers. Faith can help us get through the bad times, and suggest possibilities beyond what is proven. Faith in the Tower's version of Jehovah brought this group together now that we are free from the yoke of the Society. Most of us wouldn't be on this db if it wasn't for the faith we had as Witnesses. Even misguided faith can have some possitive results.

Serious religious faith can be a serious mistake. Looking back to our days in "the Truth" accents this point. Putting all faith in one basket is disasterous if the bottom falls out, like we experienced with the Society. Faith-Lite is the brand of theology I drink because it's willing to look at many ideas without the need of forcing others or myself into submission. Any faith that says, "it's my way or the highway" leaves little room to explore the realm of "what ifs" agnostics and seekers can enjoy.

JAVA, counting time at the Coffee Shop

Edited by - JAVA on 19 January 2001 22:3:37

• amicus
    amicus

RHW,

Thank you for posting this.

Your welcome.

I am trying to learn to listen.

Me too.

• charlie
    charlie

I still consider myself a christian.How could you not. I think some people, when they say that they are Atheists, are looking for attention.

• JAVA
    JAVA

charlie,

I see you're new to the group, glad you dropped in and posted. I think it's a cultural norm for most to consider themselves Christian if they live in locations that's mostly that faith. Most people in the world are not Christian, but have other faiths, some much older than Christian. I know some who consider themselves atheists, but I don't believe they are non-believers because of attention. In fact most atheists I know don't bring the topic up unless the issue is pressed.

Some people seek attention by saying or doing things out of the norm, but I believe attention seekers comes from all persuasions.

• larc
    larc

Charlie,

If your are refering to me, I'm Agnostic, and am not looking for attention. I've made over 300 posts here in the past couple months and this the first time I've explicitely stated my beliefs. They are fundamental beliefs, not attention getters. I rarely express these, either socialy or on a forum, unless I feel I am with good tolerant people, which is what I have found here.

• TR
    TR

larc,

I guess by default I'm an agnostic also. What you stated about your beliefs makes a lot of sense to me. It seems to fit me. I don't practice a faith anymore, I find it to be too confining intellectually, yet I'm willing to listen to some new idea. I have enough on my shoulders caring for my family, work and other charitable activities. I'm conservative by nature, financially, morally and ethically, but I'm not religious. I like to listen to and play hard rock guitar and I ride motorcycles. I guess I just don't fit in any one kind of box.

TR

• Grunt
    Grunt

I think good people will remain moral and true to their own standards of right and wrong whether they believe in a god or not. Personally, if I believed there were no god it would sadden me greatly in the sense that wrong really could prevail, and that all the suffering and hope I see really is without any purpose. It would not affect my behavior towards others, my moral cleanliness or my desire for attention in any way. As a matter of fact I would have to say, as a Christian, that the proclaimed Christians are at least as loud and demanding of attention as are any others. Look at You Know, Harold and Fred over at H20. Sometimes I think they are the same person. Anyway, just wanted to weigh in with a vote against agnostics or non-Christians wanting attention. Maybe it is my experience with the Witnesses, but I am not going to push my beliefs on anyone.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey y'all,

I am an agnotic, which simply means "I don't know"

What do you get when you cross an agnostic with a Jehovah's Witness? Someone who doesn't know why he's knocking on your door.

Now.....I fit into the agnostic group also. I was so sure of things as a jw - all tied up in a neat little book, well, 20-50 books. But still, just hang in there till the end comes. Wait on Jehovah.

I'm like most here - I don't throw around my beliefs - I don't even know if I have any. That really has not changed me and my actions, however. Instead of contributing my money & time to the jw's - I contribute to local charities, money & time.

waiting

• joel
    joel

Yup waiting...that's would be true...but also...

What do you get when you cross an atheist with a Jehovah's Witness? Someone who doesn't have anything to say once they knock on your door.

Pax,
    joel

• JAVA
    JAVA

joel,

You've got it wrong, it's:

What do you get when you cross an atheist with a JW? Someone who knocks on the door, and realizes there is no point in knocking when you can ring the doorbell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit