Are you Ex's still Christian?

by joel 63 Replies latest jw friends

• joel
    joel

Whassup guys
    I've spent most of my web time over the last 2 years at another site full of Ex-jdubs...I'd say about 50 people post there on occasion...many of that number regularly.
    What struck me from the beginning, as I got to know the people posting there was...how many were now atheists...non-believers in God...the Bible...pretty much anything they once held sacred as JW's!
    I dare say...90 some % do not consider themselves Christian now!

I'm curious about the make up of the board...
    How many here still consider themselves believers/Christians?
    May I start by sayin'.....I do!

Thanx

Pax,
    joel

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Does one have to label themselves Christian to be a believer in God?

Where did the term Christian come from?

• joel
    joel

Hey Scorpion,

I meant to leave this topic open..for you guys to tell me where ya are now...if your not a Christian but believe in God in some other fashion...OK...if you would care to elaborate...better

The question is open guys...you say what ya please as to where ya are now! Not tryin' to put words in your mouth!

As far as where the term Christain came from...well...that's what people started callin' the believers in Jesus...according to Acts:11:26.

It's cool? ...eh Scorpion!

Pax,
    joel

• Simon
    Simon

I think somtimes it whether you believe in an interpretation of the bible rather than the bible itself.
    For instance, I don't believe that the flood account was accurate but was probably based on a large local flood. I believe their is some history which can be believed but it is no more and inspired book by God as any other book supposedly authored by any other God. It just happens to be the one our society has picked up on.
    I think religion is like superstition - used to explain the unexplained. When we learn how things work through science we don't need religion anymore which is why it's always in retreat.
    The mistake a lot of 'christians' make is assuming that they have a monopoly on ethics and morals - you don't have to be a believer in anything to have these (in fact you could just 'believe' in them).

• Scorpion
    Scorpion

Simon,

Do you believe science can explain prophecy?

• larc
    larc

Joel,

I have stated what I believe earlier and will do so again. However, for openers, why don't you tell us what you believe. I would be glad to share my deepest beliefs with you, but I would rather have you go first. Otherwise, you're a curious bystander sitting on the side lines and not a full participant.

• neyank
    neyank

Hi Joel,
    I've talked (typed) to you a couple of times on the other board.
    You're right. There are many that seem to have stopped believing in God.
    I don't know why it is that people stop believing after having believed in God enough to change their whole lives when they thought they found the right way to worship Him.
    As far as me personally, I do believe in God and Jesus Christ.
    I do believe what the bible says as far as the creation and how God wants us to be.
    I know, the evolutionists will say we came from who knows what.
    It takes more faith to believe life evolved from nothing than to believe we were created.
    As far as God setting out ,in the bible, rules for us to follow He has the right. He knows what is best for His creation.
    People say that there can't be a God. Look how bad the world is.
    We,us humans have done it to ourselves. We have free will. But look at how we've used it.
    And lastly, I do believe the prophecies that are written in the bible. The problem is,we have let others tell us what they mean instead of going to the One who will see that they (the prophecies) are completed.
    As time goes on and we get closer to the "end" I do believe God will see to it that we will know what the real truth about Him is. He sees all of this bickering among religions. Each one thinking they're right. I believe He will make sure that we humans know without a doubt who He is. And I do believe that we at that time will make a choice whether to worship Him or not.
    The verses about the 2 witnesses in Revelation I think gives us a clue as far as there not being a doubt about the choice we have to make.

neyank

• TR
    TR

I'm starting over from scratch. Reading Sitchin's "Earth Chronicles". Gives a whole new outlook to the creation of our planet and how it got inhabited. It also gives a new perspective on the "nephilim" of the bible and man's relationship with the "gods". I'm not sure how Christ ties in with his theories. Haven't read that far yet. There are 6 books in the "Earth Chronicles" series and two others that are related to his findings. "Genesis Revisited" was very interesting. Kind of a summary of the series.

I guess I'm not a Christian by most people's definition. I have strong moral values and ethics, but like Simon says, you don't have to be Christian to have them.

TR

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

My husband and I also lean more toward science. He has opened my eyes to a lot of things the Society shot down. I was just gullible and bought into them blindly.
    I believe you can be very spiritual without being a "Christian".
    As for the Bible. Well who is to say it is the only inspired religious work. Many other religions have wonderful premises, including non Christian ones.
    I am still searching, if you want to call it that. It isn't a burning issue in my life. I think living in the here and now is very important. How you treat others and yourself can and does have an impact on the world around us.
    I'm not sure anyone knows the "truth", I think we find what works for us. But it is important to believe in something. Though not all-important.
    Spreading around love and compassion is important to me. If you only have room in your life to share it with your immediate surroundings, that is o.k. too. But over-all ethics and decency are very important too.
    TW

• trevor
    trevor

Being a Christian means being a follower of Christ. When on earth Christ wrote not a single word down. The entire account of his very brief ministry is all hearsay written by apostles who could not agree amoung themselves and viewed women as totaly secondary to men.

One of the clear requirements for a Christian - according to those that did bother write - was to sell their belongings, give their money to the poor and live a life of self denial. How many who claim to be Christians have followed this basic requirement?

I'd rather just try to be a good person and keep my house and investments. I am too selfish to give it all up to follow in the steps of Christ. Of course at least I am honest and that must be worth something.

Sitting by a warm fire - drink in hand - full stomach.

trevor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit