To Vote or Not To Vote... that is the question.

by harleybear 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• harleybear
    harleybear

As we all know voting or any political involvement is a big bad no no in the JW org. I actually have been a registered voter since I was 18 and was still in the org. Obviously I kept that very quiet until I made my break from the org. I got involved in local political causes my neighbors ask me to head up the Neighborhood Watch. I am more interested in local matters than national political agenda.

With the "silly season upon us" aka Prez. election 2012 I am wondering if any of you out there vote, if so to what degree, local, national? If not why? Have any of you all considered running for office or are you now in office? Are any of you involved in small causes such as Homeowners Associations, charity events, fund raisers that kind of stuff. Would love to hear the feedback.

• Nice_Dream
    Nice_Dream

I live in Canada, and I'm not a registered voter because I'm afraid of jury duty, and I believe you are eligible for that if you register to vote. I know so many people who have been called for jury duty multiple times and have been sequestered, so that is a major deterrent.

With that aside, if I could vote without the possibilty of jury duty I definitely would. As a witness growing up, I tuned out politics and thought it was boring. But I would like to be more involved in the community.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I voted in the 2008 presidential election. I may not vote this year though.

• TOTH
    TOTH

I'm a Libertarian and see the only decent choice in Ron Paul, but I doubt he will get the nod so I will probably not vote.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I'm a Libertarian and see the only decent choice in Ron Paul

Toth, I have a similar view, but am not in the US.

I vote, as I think it is important for people to indicate what their views are.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely to agree with everything that any single party stands for. I wish it was possible to not only vote for the party, but indicate preferences on major issues. With the increase in technology I imagine the use of referendums will become more common in the future through the use of technology making it cheaper and easier to conduct.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Referendums on everything may be the worst idea ever.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I'm registered to vote and do.

My front yard has no less than 4 campaign signs for local politicians.

I am active in my local Republican Party.

I am assisting 3 candidates with their campaigns and have spoke for them at functions.

If there is an election, everyone who is able to vote does. If you do not go to the polls and cast your vote you have cast a vote for whomever wins the election. I do not believe there is such a thing as neutrallity. If you choose not to decide you have still made a choice. A "no-vote" is still a vote for whomever wins.

Read Robert's Rules of Order. It clearly states that "silence is consent". In a meeting ran by Robert's Rules of Order, failure to vote Yes or No will count you as a Yes vote.

• harleybear
    harleybear

Truth B Absolutely to not make a decision IS a decision. Glad to hear you are in the mix. As to jury duty I certainly understand the hesitency. I have a hall pass on that here in the States as my hubby is in law enforcement and I am the LAST person they want on a jury. I have only been called for criminal cases thus far but if I were called to a civil case I would probably get picked. JW facts. I agree about Ron Paul. I think he is sincere and says his mind however in the States money is king and Mitt has the bucks. I find it sad that with every interview of the canidate no matter who it is they talk about "the fight" and " winning". I did not know that we had a heavy weight bout in the White House nor is this the Super Bowl. Political agenda is killing this country. Ego's too. As a side bar I am very active in a movement here in our community to stop oil well fracking, yet I find it interesting that Obama was pitching fracking saying it is safe, ecologically sound, etc. Huuuuuu wonder which oil company paid for that position. I worked in the oil fields back in the 70"s and I can tell you with out any hesitation that the US has a boat load of oil just quietly hanging out in wells neatly capped. The barrels of oil in reserve IN THE GROUND that have been tapped and capped is astonishing.

• designs
    designs

Voting- yes!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There are several ways to get picked for jury duty--voting, being on public assistance, having a drivers license or non-driver ID, or filing a state income tax return. The best way out of it is to flat out tell them you will not be able to give a fair trial.

As for whether the witlesses can vote, they cut that back to a conscience matter in 1999. You could no longer be disfellowshipped, but the hounders could still denigrade you for voting. You could be looked down at, passed for "privileges(??)", or perhaps they could still disfellowship you for "brazen conduct" if they say you should not vote and you do anyways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit