How the house of cards comes crashing down, in the WTS' own words.

by poopsiecakes 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

This is one of the best threads ever!

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

It's from a Watchtower. Strange the URL has an "a" in it, i assumed that meant I should be looking for an Awake...

*** w09 9/1 pp. 14-15 Adam and Eve-Were They Real People? ***
    The Domino Effect
    Many sincere churchgoers think that belief in Adam and Eve is not essential to being a good Christian. On the surface, this might appear to be the case. But let us follow this line of reasoning and see where it would lead us.
    Consider, for example, a Bible doctrine dear to the heart of most churchgoers-the ransom. According to this teaching, Jesus Christ gave his perfect human life as a ransom to save people from their sins. (Matthew 20:28; John 3:16) As we know, a ransom is a payment of a corresponding value to redeem or buy back something lost or forfeited. That is why the Bible describes Jesus as "a corresponding ransom." (1 Timothy 2:6) Corresponding to what, we might ask? The Bible answers: "Just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive." (1 Corinthians 15:22) The perfect life that Jesus sacrificed to redeem obedient mankind corresponds to the perfect life that Adam lost as a result of the original sin in Eden. (Romans 5:12) Clearly, if Adam did not exist, Christ's ransom sacrifice would be rendered completely meaningless.
    Rejecting or trivializing the Genesis account about Adam and Eve creates a domino effect that undermines nearly every major teaching in the Bible! Such a way of thinking leads to a host of unanswered questions and a faith with nothing to stand on.-Hebrews 11:1.

I'm another one who just cant believe I believed this shit without sufficient logical thought and research.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

The bit about the ransom I never understood was that if Jehovah paid the ransom (giving his only begotten son as the ransom fee instead of money) to retrieve us (the ones kidnapped by Satan) then how come he got his money back (Jesus)?

That's not usually how it works.

I could understand it more if Satan kept Jesus until negotiators went in and persuaded Satan to hand him back or Satan was destroyed forever and so Jesus was released.

Now if God never got Jesus back for the sake of the rest of us, that would be a sacrifice.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Oh but big J was all alone for 3 "earth" days.... just counting down the hours to snap his fingers and resurrect him again...... that must be worth all of humankinds suffering throughout history right?

I was thinking about this (the Bible) the other day, I came to the conclusion it is the biggest fraud perpetrated on the human race in our entire history.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

As some-one once said. "So basically, Jesus had a sh*t weekend!"

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Why are critical thinking skills not taught in schools as part of the general curriculum? They should be. If 11 -16 year olds were exposed to critical thinking skills regularly over this period it would have a great effect on how many end up joining or staying in cults.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I had never really been allowed to think critically growing up. I was taught to obey my superiors whether it was my parents, teachers boss or religious leaders.

Children these days are much more able to express themselves freely and question authority too.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

wow, what lazy argumentation from the wts. is this newer? i mean, at least christian apologists on the internet try to put up a bigger fight. its almost like the watchtower is trying to weed anyone anyone but mindless zealots.

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

Great thread.

Mankind is just a little older than 7000 years and definitely not originating in Mesopotamia

https://humanorigins.si.edu/research/asian-research/earliest-humans-china

Its tough and sobering to realize that you've believed in the adult equivalent of Santa Claus your whole life.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I dont know that this is true.

Maybe the Adam and Eve story is explaining in simple terms something much greater.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit