On JWN .. are you a teacher or student ?

by caliber 46 Replies latest jw friends

• caliber
    caliber

Likely most poeple feel that they at times can and should be both , that is a teacher or a student

I know I have learned and gained much insight into many things here.. but most often

fail to make acknowledgement... not sure why I guess I hate for a person to feel I am flattering them or kissing up

Or "they have excellent thoughts they must know this already "and I fail to pat them on the back !

this proverb made me think today .....

the poet Ogden Nash said, “Whenever you're wrong admit it, whenever you're right, shut up.”

A teacher makes a point to instruct or help others to reason and find common ground be not to become "dead right"

at the expense of others ! Also not only admit to wrong viewpoint but give due credit without fear of 'saving face "

I would just like to give a collective thanks for all the thought and effort that are put into so many instructive posts !!

Also please give your thoughts on the question posed above or even your accolades to fellow posters !! thanks

To grow it seems wise to wear different hats ......that of teacher but more importantly student

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Student, here.

• caliber
    caliber

A person places themselves on a level with the ones they praise.
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

@Leaving ...perhaps it's best to say we're in a class where all are learning where nothing is so clearly defined ???

• N.drew
    N.drew

I am both.

My friend Judy told me a story. Her father was Jewish. Her mother was a well known communist. Judy grew up in a poor neighborhood in New York City (some facts might be off a little as I can not remember facts well). She told me that in Elementary School she was assigned another student, who had learning difficulties, to teach her to read. She was student and teacher at a young age (I think she said twelve). I think we all should be students first but also teachers. But not teachers as "I will TELL you", but teachers as "I want to HELP you".

Caliber, I enjoy your posts, I hope you will continue to post!

• St George of England
    St George of England

Student.

I have learned more about the Bible and JW's here in the last couple of years than I did in a lifetime of more than 60 years attending KH, assemblies, conventions, reading WTS literature etc.

Doug Mason's article on 607/587 better than anything I have found in a WT ever.

George

• caliber
    caliber
    But not teachers as "I will TELL you", but teachers as "I want to HELP you

so true the motive of helping not humilating or putting down or humor at someone else's hurt !!

thank you N.Drew !!! and likewise I enjoy your thoughts &

sparks of wisdom I can gain from you

• yknot
    yknot

Student..... one of those who like to pass notes....

• caliber
    caliber

So true ST. George.... The shear volume and time of learning can be cut down by the hard work of others before you

• N.drew
    N.drew

Thank you

I'd like to comment on: " fail to make acknowledgement... not sure why I guess I hate for a person to feel I am flattering them or kissing up"

On another forum there is a "helps" button. And on that forum there are posters who confess to be Jehovah's Witnesses. And there are a few posters there who are tirelessly trying to get through to the JWs. Most of us here know that for many years the Society has taught nothing new. So everything a Jehovah's Witness posts is old news. Well, it has not ceased to amaze me yet that the Jehovah's Witnesses (all of them) click that "post is helpful" button every time. And I think (everytime) "how is it helpful to hear that again as you have heard it 100,000 times already?".

• caliber
    caliber

@Yknot I get nervous when people tell me to pull things !! hahahahaha !

humor and fellowship makes learning and accepting things so much easier , relaxed & fun

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit