Attention Governing Body: October 2, 2014 is only 940 days away...

by Alfred 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alfred
    Alfred

In 1823, John Aquila Brown (a man who is NOT mentioned in ANY WT publication) came up with a bizarre mathematical calculation which totalled 2,520 years (in an unauthorized attempt to predict the END of the Gentile Times)...

Several religions recycled this bizarre calculation, including the Adventists and the Bible Students... When Armageddon didn't come on the variety of early 20th century dates predicted by several "dooms-day" religions of that time (including Charles Taze Russell's Bible Students who predicted that the Big A would start in 1914), they all finally realized that this 2,520-year calculation was nothing more than arbitrary mathematical speculation derived from erratic Biblical extrapolation.... except for the Bible Students who continued to move up the date for Armageddon 2 more times (1918, 1925) and then decided to use WWI as the starting point for the "Last Days".

All the while, one thing that seems to remain intact is the October 2, 1914 date. Oddly, for the Watchtower Bible & Tract Publishing Cult, this particular date still marks the end of the 2,520-year period (that John Aquila Brown referred to in his bizarre 1823 book "The Even Tide")... Again, no mention of this in ANY Watchtower publication. But, for JWs, that date still remains the starting point for the period of time often referred to as the "Last Days" or even "the generation that shall not pass".

Because of this, the Governing Body has been forced to change the definition of "the generation that shall not pass" countless times since the early 1970's. But the expiration date of this latest definition is quickly approaching as well as the 100-year anniversay of the END of the Gentile Times (October 2, 2014).

Note to Governing Body: By now, I think you all realize that you are looking like clueless fools. That being said, in 940 days, your credibility will plummet to an all-time low... Do yourselves a favor NOW and admit that this entire doctrine is completely un-Biblical and unauthorized (Acts 1:7).

You have exactly 940 days remaining (until October 2, 2014)... Your time starts... NOW

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Good post. Do you think they will put a few loaded paragraphs in the next WT to start softening the blow and worm their way out of the whole mess?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

the expiration date of this latest definition is quickly approaching

Actually, they've bought themselves another good 50 or 60 years if the drones accept the "overlapping generation" teaching.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth
    bought themselves another good 50 or 60 years
    It is amazing how a significant change such as this can be just accepted by millions of people as a good thing. My wife said that the JWs are willing to change while false religion does not.......I guess from her myopic view only the JWs change for the better.....
  • Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

I wonder what they'll be saying in 60 years time when the 'overlapping generation' idea is no longer feasible. At what point does 1914 stop looking like 'The Last Days', and more like 'The Last Months'?

I've heard a lot of JW's talk about 2014 being the year, and I'm going to have a smug grin on my face come January 1st 2015.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

So, after October 2, 2014, the message of "good news" to be proclaimed throughout the earth will be that god's kingdom with Christ as ruler began invisibly one hundred hears ago.

Will anyone be able to say this with a straight face? Or will the message of"good news" be modified slightly?

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I think this will be a good thread to keep alive. Kind of like the Armageddon hasn't arrived yet thread.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

FLAT ACCENT - I know that is what my brother-in-law thinks, even though he doesn't really express it that openly. Others keep saying "nomorethan five years". As much as October 2 2014 is a meaningless date, there is a psychological significance to one hundred years passing.

There will be a lot of cognitive dissonance going on.

This is a great thread to keep alive. Thanks ALFRED

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

Alfred >> ... in all fairness, they mention John Aquila Brown in their publications, albeit just once.

As early as 1823, John A. Brown, whose work was published in London, England, calculated the “seven times” of Daniel chapter 4 to be 2,520 years in length. But he did not clearly discern the date with which the prophetic time period began or when it would end. He did, however, connect these “seven times” with the Gentile Times of Luke 21:24.

jv chap. 10 p. 134 / Growing in Accurate Knowledge of the Truth

• 00DAD
    00DAD

bookmarking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit