Will higher gas prices cause a policy change (New Light) re. field service?

by doinmypart 34 Replies latest jw friends

• doinmypart
    doinmypart

Will higher gas prices bring about some New Light regarding field service?

In the part of the U.S. where I live most of the territories require driving long distances. Some congregation members are unemployed and many are retired/living on limited income. I imagine they have a difficult time buying fuel just to drive long distances and hear, "I'm not interested."

What level must gas prices reach per gallon before New Light comes down? $4.00, $4.50, $5.00, $5.50, or Prices won't affect policy. What do you think? (Sorry, I don't know equivalent prices in other countries)

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It's very possible that a change may be coming.

Using a scriptual basis such as blowing the horns around the walls of Jerico or the angels blowing the horns in Revelation, perhaps in certain months we can just go outside, blow a horn a few times in the direction of the territory, and then go back inside and count the time.

Rub a Dub

• No Room For George
  • truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

No.

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society cares not for those who peddle their goods.

Their reason will sound something like:

"Reducing your the time you spend in the Field Ministry due to gas prices shows a lack of faith that Jehovah will provide for you. Ask yourself these questions: 1)have I sacrificed enough for Kingdom Interests? 2) Could I use the money I spend on cable television to further Kingdom Interests? 3) Could I use the money I spend on internet service to fund my personal ministry?"

• Think About It
    Think About It

Field Service is the cult's trademark. They will just pile more people into vehicles and encourage sharing the cost of fuel. There are other ways to keep members busy, like street witnessing, phone & letter witnessing, and what-ever-in-the-hell they call incidental witnessing now.

Think About It

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

jehovah will provide the gas money.......

• just Ron
    just Ron

The will make ruals phone wittnessing and do more in town walking. Maybe that will help with the weight problem and kill 2 birds with one stone.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I was at Bethel as a volunteer worker, having signed a vow of poverty.

Guess what? They made me pay for the air conditioning in my room.

Make no mistake, they couldn't care less if publishers are inconvenienced.

• sir82
    sir82

You're kidding, right?

Since when has the WTS cared one iota for the financial well-being of any of the "sheep"?

"Gas prices are too high? Who the f___ cares? Get out there and preach, you miserable worms! Ya know, over in Africa, they swim crocodile infested rivers to go out in service. How many crocodile infested rivers are between you and your territory? None you say? So what are complaining about?"

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Hey, I heard that they will announce that since distributing literature actually can cost them money if the members don't donate for it, and because gas costs too much for practicle recruiting, all publishers with cars/minivans can show up at the meeting for field service and count an hour of recruiting for every amount of donation in the box equivalent to the current price of a gallon of gas. If gas is $4, then $8 buys two hours- one hour for hubby and one for mrs.

It's a great rumor, run with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit