Will higher gas prices cause a policy change (New Light) re. field service?

by doinmypart 34 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

Well, Baltar447, I've just dug thru 50 pages of topix I've posted on...

And I can't find that thread.

Blast it all...

It seems - if I recall correctly - it was just one sentence or two in a Watctower study on the subject of not getting caught up in "worldly" desires... But to mention the consumption of FOOD as being a "worldly" desire - that was just too whacked for me...

However, I did find these threads...

You might get a laugh - or a groan - out of them...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/218940/1/Too-fat-for-the-kingdom-of-God

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/206863/1/Disfellowshipped-for-eating-FATTY-FOODS-BEING-FAT-BAD-DIET

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/191315/1/New-Light-on-Fat-people

Interestingly, this thread appeared on JWN in 2004... Since Bethelites apparently do read this site, as well as other "apostate" sites, I wonder whether this thread may have influenced the more recent Watchtower mentality...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/68127/1/Should-obesity-be-a-DF-offense

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They don't give a fxxx how much the witlesses pay for gas. They will come up with some lame excuse that in many places, it is closer to $3 a liter. Here, we are paying a toilet paper a liter--at 4 toilet papers a gallon.

Some excuses they might come up with include that anyone that cuts back on field circus due to higher gas prices and/or unemployment is not trusting in Jehovah, and that they need to go into debt to pay for it. This system can't last long enough for your debt to come due, so go into debt to pay for gas. Never mind that this is a rotten time to go into debt even for legitimate reasons (debt slavery is the risk if you are forced to default by the banks), and for sure, for stupid reasons it's not the time to run up debt.

One thing I am sure of seeing is less time running the air conditioner when summer comes around. And, when it gets cold (like now in the northern hemisphere, and your turn is coming in southern Argentina and Chile, Sydney, the whole of New Zealand, and South Africa), you can expect less warming-up breaks. Coffee breaks, which take gas to get to and from your coffee place, will become fewer in number (though not necessarily shorter). Starbucks, a former favorite, is now too expensive given higher gas prices and that many witlesses are unemployed.

And yes, they will come up with rubbish that you should cut back on expenses. Internet bills (which I am paying a total of 50 toilet papers a month for broadband, the equivalent of roughly 400 km of driving (less, if in the city). That is not going to get you very far. Cable is a bit expensive, but not enough to get me very far. They might cut out Starbucks and go for cheaper coffee (and not tip). Entertainment is also available--but how many witlesses actually go see a live performance? And, how far can you drive for one movie ticket's worth of gas? And Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund donations need to be cut down on--that's where most of the funds actually disappear.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

so what... We have distances here too, drive 110 km a day to work.... with norwegian gas prices :-)...

it seems Americans in general complain very easily when a tax is imposed on them or risen slightly...

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

So here is my opinion. They will send a letter out to all congregations to say that all publishers should reflect the practice of reimbursing drivers for fuel like they do at bethel.

When a person drives to the congregation, all riders are responsible to reimburse the driver X.XX amount of dollars each way. So the borg will say for every hour of field service each rider should reimburse the driver/car owner X.XX amount of dollars to offset gas costs.

Problem solved in their minds and once again they put the bill right where they love to; straigh up the keester of the R&F. They walk away patting themselves on the back and the R&F falls right in line patting backs as well.

MTM

• Gayle
    Gayle

so how much gas money are JWs spending to do 1,707,094,710 hours worldwide annually? Plus going to meetings, assemblies, etc.?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit