thoughts

by isaacaustin 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• QuiteRational
    QuiteRational

Why go?

Seriously, is there any reason you should be there to support him as he's giving long, drawn out bullshit talks? What makes someone else feel good is not always the right thing to do.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Its funny how they want unbelieving family to "support" him by sitting in a chair listening to their message of exclusive salvation and destruction for all the rest of the world, including the unbelieving member sitting there in the audience for support..

Yet you ask a JW to go to a funeral or wedding in a church, and they do their damndest to wiggle out of it because they think sitting in that building equals support for Babylon the Grape. No idiots, it just means you support the person in their day of happines or sadness, depending on they occasion. HYPOCRITES!

Don't go.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

This being said when he know if the situation were reversed and he were asked to attend a church event to support me he would not even consider it. I highly doubt I will go.

I you have asked him that question and he admitted that he would not go, then you should make it clear you will not consider going either and do not appreciate his double standard.

• Gayle
    Gayle

When I quit going, a couple times a family JW would say, oh so and so said they miss you and said to say hi, (I felt with purpose to hook me some how) and I would just as lightly respond, "oh, thx,,tell them I say 'hi' also" At least, there was no further comment.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I would flat out ask him....."dad.....if I became a pastor at the local Gethsemane Church......would you come to hear my first public address?"

When he says no....I would say "my conscience is just as strong as yours. I cannot bring myself to attend a false religious ceremony regardless of who may be doing the preaching"

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

After reading all the thoughts that others have, I guess my opinion is different. It wouldn't bother me the least if I went and I'd be there if someone in my family gave their first public talk even though no one will talk to me. All this rigidity when it is not needed is a JW stance but it has never been mine. Compromise and compassion are mine. If a co-worker or a friend were a Rabbi or a Priest or any other religion and asked you to come to something special they were doing, would you go? For me it depends on how I feel about the person, since visiting once won't convert me. It's different since you were raised a JW but my thoughts are do what makes you feel good and removes the guilt from you. I know lots of peopel that wouldn't go to my funeral but that doesn't mean I wouldn't go to theirs. After all, funerals are for the living who are left behind, not the one who died as they don't benefit at all. I would go not because I wanted to be converted, but because it was my dad.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input. I just can't be an enabler in this...enforcing to my parents that I will bend for their beliefs when it is not a 2-way street. My attending his public talk serves no purpose. Its not that they want to see me- its that they want me at a JW meeting. There are 365 other days this year...and 22 more hours in the Sunday he gives his talk that we can do lunch or hang out.

• dog is god
    dog is god

If you go you are only rewarding bad behavior.

• chigaimasmaro
    chigaimasmaro

In my current condition I would go, because I've learned to separate what they do and say from my life. Its like I like to eat meat and I know a vegan who wants me to come see them get an award for being the most friendly to animals that year. Sure, they'll introduce me to people that'll try to persuade me to not eat meat, but thats them. Its part of the beast, so to speak.

For me, its not what THEY do thats important anymore, its what "I" do that matters most. If you've got your own identity in check, i see no problem with going. I went to my brother-in-law's first public talk. Gave him a thumbs up at the beginning, got bored 5 minutes in and spent the rest of the time creating a flip book in the margin of the bible i got in the lost and found box at the hall he attended. People came up to me and asked me how i was , and I said "Great!" and I meant it. No reason to hide how awesome you feel not being one and no reason to be angry with them cause you've got better things to spend your emotions on.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "For me, its not what THEY do thats important anymore, its what "I" do that matters most. If you've got your own identity in check, i see no problem with going. ..." Chigaimasmaro

Well, yeah, but if one has "their own identity in check", then why waste time on something that will never go anywhere? Spend the time doing your taxes or reviewing your investments or working out at the gym or reading at the library - something that WILL provide returns on the time invested - spent...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit