thoughts

by isaacaustin 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

but it's ok...to go pay money to be entertained by an NFL or NBA team?? Or watch it on TV....or miss a meeting to watch an NCAA tournament game???? But not support your grandkids who are doing it for fun? The same little kids you claim to love???

shaking my head....more hyposcrisy?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Amazing, truly amazing how they have no problems asking others to compromise but will not bend at all.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

If it were me, I would not go. First--you've said it upsets you. It would upset me too. Second--you don't really support this! I mean, what would dinner conversation be like? "What did you think son?" "Well it was pretty much b**lshit, but it was done in your voice---so that's something."

Third--It raises their hopes. They are always hoping that something will touch your heart. They will process any positive comment by you to mean maybe there is some interest. And they will hold you to that.

I can hear the KH gossip now. Oh, his son is here! He hasn't been here in so long. Is he baptized? No, but maybe this will touch his heart. Jehovah's spirit works that way. Well it's just important that he is here, with Jehovah's spirit.

Let the lovefest begin.

JW's have always held to their double standard. Some will not even attend the weddings of their chiildren if they are held in a church. Some won't attend memorial talks in a church. There is no way they'd show up for a sermon you were giving. Why do we always feel the need to give them a pass?

Do something excellent with your dad that you both enjoy. Nurture the bond in a healthy way. It's so much better than supporting cult activities.

NC

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

NC, thanks for your thoughts...I agree completely. I do not see anything positive or beneficial from ym going.

• glenster
    glenster

The problem originates with the JWs leaders rules of association but the
    Kingdom Hall forum doesn't give you access to the leaders, only let you suffer
    the situation they control--maybe butt heads with the followers. The JWs
    leaders' rules aren't there to make this easy for the one in your position,
    they're there to make sure that if anyone catches on to their methods they're
    not around to tell the other customers about it.
    http://gtw6437.tripod.com/index.html

Like a good employer takes an employee off to the side to discuss complaints,
    it might be better to discuss problems with this away from the KH. NM's advice
    has merit--show support for the father somewhere else uncompromised by what
    could be mistaken for support of his allegiance to the KH or seeming like you
    want to put him down in front of others.

Then again, this isn't just a regard for the JWs leaders' rules but a father.
    You could make a case for going to show your love for the father whether he
    understands your complaints about the JWs leaders yet or not, that your rules of
    association are better than the dodgy business schemes of the JWs leaders--your
    love for him is more important. You can love someone but not like something
    they do or how could you raise a kid?, and you love your father. You can just
    say something to indicate you're not converting if anyone asks.

It depends on how bad you think it could get and how much you feel you could
    stomach, and that's a personal call.

• flipper
    flipper

ISAAC- If going to see your dad give a talk goes against what you believe in- you shouldn't go and be false to yourself. THAT is what's important, not your dad's ego. If going brings " back anger and depression and ruins my state of mind for a few days " - it is NOT worth it. All it would accomplish in going would further show your dad that you are willing to sacrifice YOUR principles to make HIM happy. If you do NOT attend - it will show him that he can't control you and although he may not like it- inwardly he'll see you are a man of your word and principle and he'll be FORCED to respect you ( even if he doesn't outwardly show it to you out of pride. ) But that' s O.K. It's YOUR life, not his.

I've had to make several HUGE stands towards my JW elder dad the last few months and he still talks to me. He's a little distant , but you know what - I can tell by the tone of his voice that he respects me more for making my stand and truth be told - now he is somewhat intimidated by mE because he knows I'll call him on his bull$hit. So think about what I'm saying. Take care, hope you , your wife, and immediate family are doing well. Keep holding your children close to your heart. THEY are the important ones- not your dad's ego

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Good Morning Issac..

JW family will do anything to get you into a KH..

Don`t want to go to the Kingdom Hall?..

I won`t set foot in one..

...........................OUTLAW

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Going will also bring back anger and depression and ruin my state of mind for a few days.

While my first gut reaction is to humor your dad -- this is a bid day for him, I assume. If it really would affect your mental health as you state, I'd take care of my health first. They should understand that.

Doc

• cantleave
    cantleave

I should be the last person to comment on this since I will NEVER set foot in KH again, not even for my mum's funeral. So my advice Hell No - Don't Go!!

If you do go it will be enough for them to think there is still hope and they won't relent with the pressure to get you back to the meetings.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...Going will also bring back anger and depression and ruin my state of mind for a few days. ..."

Ahhhh.......

I had "Jehovah's Witness" parents who were - are - very manipulative, dishonest, and hypocritical....

I finally came to the realization that the ONLY reason I was forced to associate with my parents, was due to an 'accident of birth'....

At that point, I realized, that if I'd never been born to these people, I would NEVER have associated with them!

Associating with my parents also caused me "anger and depression", and ALSO ruined MY "state of mind for a few days"....

So DON'T attend. They really HAVEN'T earned YOUR respect, have they?

[Does anyone here remember the brief period of 'humanity' that the Watchtower Corporation went thru? Where they actually stated - for a while, at least - that parents need to EARN the respect of their children??? That it shouldn't be considered a "given", just by the simple fact of having reproduced....]

I think the Watchtower boys may have dropped that eventually, because the analogy between the human parents of the 'rank&file' and the image of the Watchtower Society as "parent", would have caused uncomfortable questions and comparisons to come up...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit