Theists, why does God allow suffering..

by The Quiet One 754 Replies latest watchtower bible

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

Free will is the ability to choose. It is not the ability to choose without consequence.

You're making up your own definitions again, I see? Moving those goalposts at your own free will?

Ignorance of what some/many theologians teach... no doubt. As I said previously, I do not keep up with 'theologians' or 'scholars', etc. Honestly, who cares what they teach? They all have different opinions, and they are just that: opinions.

Then why are you even bothering to offer YOUR uninformed opinion here, if you admit you don't know and/or care how philosophers and theologians have agreed to a common meaning of the terms?

Tell your OPINION to, eg:

Merriam Webster:

free will noun :

1. the ability to choose how to act

2. the ability to make choices that are not controlled by fate or God

Full Definition of FREE WILL

1 : voluntary choice or decision

2 : freedom of humans to make choices that are not determined by prior causes or by divine intervention

Or http://www.thefreedictionary.com/free+will

free will n.

1. The ability or discretion to choose; free choice: (eg "I chose to remain behind of my own free will.")

2. The power of making free choices that are unconstrained by external circumstances or by an agency such as fate or divine will.

[Middle English fre wil, translation of Late Latin lberum arbitrium : Latin lberum, neuter of lber, free + Latin arbitrium, will.]

Note the philosophical definition:

free will n

1. (Philosophy)

a. the apparent human ability to make choices that are not externally determined

b. the doctrine that such human freedom of choice is not illusory Compare determinism c. (as modifier) a free-will decision

2. the ability to make a choice without coercion ("he left of his own free will: I did not influence him")

Adam

• tec
    tec
    You're making up your own definitions again, I see? Moving those goalposts at your own free will?

No, you don't see as much as you think you see.

Free Will from the dictionary you chose:

1. the ability to choose how to act
    2. the ability to make choices that are not controlled by fate or God

Yes, as to both... (in fact I don't see a problem with any of those definitions. I think you may be using them incorrectly; you and perhaps some of the scholars you are listening to, if you think that any of them show that Adam and Eve did not have free will in their decision to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil)... and yes, Adam and Eve exercised free will in their decision. A) they chose; and B) they had the ability to choose. God did not control their choice... else they could not have made any choice other than the one that He MADE them make. Since they made their own choice, and went against His will... obviously their choice was NOT controlled by 'fate or God'.

If a person has the ability to choose... then they have free will. If a person does not have the ability to choose... ie; God MADE them do it... then they do not have free will.

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

PS I'm setting the scenario of the Adam and Eve account aside for now: that requires a higher-level understanding of the topic of free will, and we need to get the basics ironed out before looking at it.

TEC said-

If a person has the ability to choose... then they have free will.

This is like pulling teeth....

So if a mugger holds a gun to your head and says, "Give me your purse or your life!" do you have free will? Sure, you DO have a choice NOT to comply, but the mugger kills you and takes your purse after you're dead.... That's just absurb to claim you DO have free will in that scenario, since it's not about the CAPABILITY to decide. It's why you can refuse giving $ to a homeless person who has a sign and a can, whereas you cannot refuse a mugger with a handgun.

Two words: FREE and WILL. The 'free' term implies 'free from consequences/influence' of not just from your beloved deity, but from ANY other party, be it a family member, a mugger, etc.

That's exactly WHY the definition of 'free will' cites the typical legal use of the phrase as found in a will, "I Bob Smith, being of sound mind and body, and OF MY OWN FREE WILL by noting being under duress or influence of another party, leave my Worldly possessions to....."

It's NOT an issue of whether someone has the CAPABILITY to decide, but rather, when in reference to a Divine being who can punish them, whether they have the PERMISSION to decide; or in the case of another non-Divine entity interfering with their choice, whether they are being unduly INFLUENCED to decide on a certain outcome (as in the mugging scenario above).

In fact, if there were a question of their CAPABILITY to decide (eg a minor, or an elderly adult with Alzheimers) then they don't have a LEGAL RIGHT to decide; they are rendered as legally-incompetent to make decisions for themselves, and they need someone else to make those decisions for them, to act on their behalf.

But that's likely too broad of a concept for a concrete thinker such as yourself, so let's break it down, step-by-step; please answer the following questions in a YES or NO manner (cite scriptures, if you can).

1) Do you believe that God gives humanity His permission to sin (i.e. to violate His Divine Will)? YES or NO?

2) Do you understand that sinning entails a punishment from God, where He punishes sinners for their sins? YES or NO? (eg murder, if you need a specific sin).

3) If someone is thinking of murdering someone, might God's punishment for the sin of murder ("life for life") interfere with the person's free will choice to murder? YES or NO?

IF you say NO to any of those three, you are arguing AGAINST the VERY REASON that Mosaic Law was handed down by God: it served as a civil/criminal code to regulate the behavior of Israelites.

You're arguing against God's law, which means you're arguing against God's RIGHT to make rules; you're arguing against God.

Above you said:

If a person does not have the ability to choose... ie; God MADE them do it... then they do not have free will.

Shall we look back and see what TEC's position was on the issue of whether God interfered with Pharoah's free will then, since God told Moses he would harden Pharoah's heart so he would NOT let the Israelites go (where Pharoah was otherwise inclined to let them go), since God needed an excuse to put on a magic show (which included killing all Egyptian firstbornes) before leaving town?

The first occurance of hardening Pharoah's heart occurs BEFORE the magic show started, in Exodus 4:21:

Exodus 4:21
    And the LORD said unto Moses, When thou goest to return into Egypt, see that thou do all those wonders before Pharaoh, which I have put in thine hand: but I will harden his heart, that he shall not let the people go.

Pharoah had no control over the decisions he made: Jehovah used him like a ventriloquist works a dummy, and played him like a fiddle.

So using your own definition of free will above, are you willing to admit that God removed Pharoah's free will, by interfering with his CAPABILITY to decide?

Adam

• tec
    tec
    PS I'm setting the scenario of the Adam and Eve account aside for now: that requires a higher-level understanding of the topic of free will, and we need to get the basics ironed out before looking at it.

No, lets not.

Adam and Eve work against what you are trying to state, so lets not set them aside to go on some wild goose chase.

If you are saying, as you are above, that consequences/punishments means a person has no free will... then we go right back to my question to you: do you think that people in society do not have free will simply because there are laws and consequences to disobeying those laws?

Now, you bring up Pharoah... and this is a great example of the difference.

Setting aside whether or not Pharoah actually had a choice, for now (another topic for another day)... if God did not allow Pharoah to let his people go, then Pharoah did not have free will. If Pharoah was not free to listen to God (if he had never been free to listen to God ), then Pharoah did not have free will.

This is not the case with Adam and Eve who DID have free will. As do we. As did the Israelites, even under the law.

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

If you are saying, as you are above, that consequences/punishments means a person has no free will... then we go right back to my question to you: do you think that people in society do not have free will simply because there are laws and consequences to disobeying those laws?

The entire REASON man passes laws is to DETER or DISENCENTIVIZE the commission of various acts, which then are considered as 'crimes'. People who commit the acts are called 'criminals'.

Humans realized long ago that there is NO WAY to remove a citizen's CAPABILITY to commit certain actions without heavily infringing on personal rights and freedoms, so society decided to only PUNISH certain actions; thus secular laws ARE attempts to limit a citizen's"free will", since the State is punishing (influencing) certain actions.

While citizens DO have the "freedom to choose" to get in a car and drive 90mph in a 45mph zone, as Baretta said, "don't do the crime, if you can't do the time". You have to expect to face the music for your offenses, if you're pulled over by the traffic cops and cited for speeding. 'Free will' would be if there was no law against speeding, AKA anarchy.

Whether you know and/or appreciate it or not, secular laws don't COUNT or RELY on a God to deliver threats or to deliver punishment; hence in the eyes of secular authorities, God's ability to interfere with man's free will is a moot point, a non-issue. The Roman Empire got along just fine without Zeus existing, as did the Persian Empire without Ahuru Mazda existing. Operationally-speaking, governments ARE atheists, whether they acknowledge it or not (or if their citizens know it or not).

TEC said-

This is not the case with Adam and Eve who DID have free will. As do we. As did the Israelites, even under the law.

Well, you remembered to state your conclusion, but seemingly forgot to lead up to it with a compelling argument that used any evidence (and putting DID in upper-case and use of underlining is NOT a substitute for using a compelling argument). Want to try again?

Adam

• tec
    tec

Try what again? Where would you get the idea that Adam and Eve were MADE to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad in the first place? If you are stating that they did not have free will, then you show how they did not have free... because this account is not the same as the account re: Pharoah.

Two words: FREE and WILL. The 'free' term implies 'free from consequences/influence'

What you have described above does not exist anywhere, Adamah. Every decision has consequence/influence.

Please give an example of free will... using your definition above... of something real.

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

Please give an example of free will... using your definition above... of something real.

"Doesn't exist anywhere"?

Yeah, so all the silly philosophers discussing free will is all a waste of time? "Arrogance of ignorace" much?

Try this one:

"Do you prefer vanilla or chocolate ice cream?"

Assuming you're not allergic to chocolate, both choices are equal, and equally-free of consequences.

Now if I had said,

"You can have EITHER, but I really really wanted the vanilla..."

then I'm trying to sway your decision, and you no longer are making a free will decision, as an agent (me) is trying to influence your decision.

Adam

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Because death is essential to life, it is a cycle of energy trsnfer.

Animals have evolved fantastic means to kill and consume., research the TROPHIC LEVELS of life. I appreciate this is a scientific explanation, not religious. It depends if you want the true answer or not. Life csnnot rxist without desth ss proven by every living thing,

The jewish shepherds didn't know physics, so the answer isnt in their scrolls. it is a basic concept of energy, it can be altered but neither created or destroyed. Everlasting life consumes everlasting energy, there is not enough energy to have that.

To demand to live forever is to deny others to live. Ignoring this issue is to live in bronze age ignorance, akin to agreeing that adam was the first man 6000 years ago, simply impossible and rediculous.

great question ;) x

• tec
    tec

Okay Adamah, but we do not live in a vanilla or chocolate ice cream world. (though eating the ice cream itself has a consequence... just not necessarily a negative one... unless you eat a tub of ice cream, then you're likely to feel/be sick - would that mean that you had no free will in deciding not to eat the tub of ice cream?)

In this world, there are things that cause harm. You think that takes away our free will?

I'm pretty sure your ice cream example is one of limited free will though. Where you are presented only certain options. Rather than being given a choice between all foods: ice cream... or... big greasy hamburger... or well, any kind of food imaginable. Some are bad for you; some are good for you.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

You changed your post... you do that a lot, lol. I don't think your change makes a difference though.

Except... just because someone is trying to sway your decision, does not mean that you have to allow them to sway your decision. You still choose whether to allow that or not; or listen to them or not.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit