Those who still show up at the meetings, How do you manage?.

by Mr Facts 76 Replies latest jw experiences

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    We look for any excuse not to go to the meeting. We pretty much go to show our faces, just to stay under the radar.

We had a recent CO visit, where he relayed the question to the audience about how it looks when someone misses meetings to the point that it's noticeable. He then stated that if we miss that many meetings, "people may start to think that you don't want to be here." I wanted to yell out, "duhhhh!! Most of the people here in attendance would rather not be here!!!"

• bigmac
    bigmac

what a pathetic thread. people still attending--out of fear of losing family i suppose. i suppose youre still counted as jw's? i wonder how many of the 7 million or so are in the same boat. get a life.

• harekrishna
    harekrishna

That's what I've always wondered about the folks here who still attend. There's no way in Hell I could sit through that man made drivel anymore. It's amazing how you guys can sit there taking in all that BS when at this point you know for a fact it definitely is man made rules of BS but still sit there and take it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You hit the nail on the head: it's manmade drivel - the rules, the articles, the boring, dry talks...it's all from some old men in the Watchtower head office. I"m truly amazed anyone can put up with this. I left in 1990 and we would secretly make the same complaints about the god awful mtgs. at the KH.

• cofty
    cofty
    what a pathetic thread. people still attending--out of fear of losing family i suppose. i suppose youre still counted as jw's? i wonder how many of the 7 million or so are in the same boat. get a life. - bigmac

Unless I have misunderstood your comments that is one of the most judgemental things I have read on this forum.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I suspect that if our friends and family were in the Branch Davidians or the People's Temple, most of us would probably do the same. Love is the motivation, and at the end of our lives, these relationships we've had will be our most important possessions. And if the opportunity presents itself to free those who are in chains, we shall do so. We cannot plant seeds of thought from the freedom and comfort of our sofa, sometimes we have to get our feet dirty in the field, and endure conditions which are less than pleasant. We do not know what seed many germinate or where, but if we mentally free just one of our loved ones, then we are truly blessed.

• watson
    watson

Some of us are just weaker than you Bigmac. We're workin' on it though.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i simply dont understand how anyone can attend these meetings if they know its all rubbish-----surely if they have family they love--they can make a stand--and stay away--make it an issue---get their loved ones to put their brains in gear.

meekly attending just makes it worse---lets those still trapped feel comfortable with it. just the way i feel--thats all.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Lore; Being able to make an argument for something when you believe the exact opposite is not a very noble skill, but it's a useful one.

Granted. Unfortunately, in this context, it only reinforces the cult programming of all those listening to you - including the kids. Don't do it, you'll feel much better about yourself.

Nic'

• Londo111
    Londo111

For me, it boils down to: Acts 21:20-26

If you are in a position in your life to not attend meetings, more power to you. Go in peace. By all means, choose the path in life that makes you happy, but realize that not all will take that path. You might not understand alternate choices, but it doesn't mean those choices have no validity. We all come from a dogmatic organization that has said: Our Way or Death Eternal! Surely, we can be more accomodating than such Rutherfordisms.

• cofty
    cofty

I happen to agree with your reasoning bigmac but nobody can judge the specific web of relationships and circumstances that cause others to decide differently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit