Why Can JWs Eat Turkey On Thanksgiving & Still Say They Aren't Celebrating?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

We also had turkey during the Christmas season...and other typical holiday meals like ham, meat pie (tourtière)...we would even invite pioneers to join us. Our excuse was that we got together on these days and "associate" late at night because we didn't have to go to work the next morning...not because we were celebrating Christmas. We had no problem accepting a turkey, bottle of booze or Christmas bonus from our employer...All that was missing were the Christmas decorations...

• designs
    designs

They leave off the gibblets

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

my who hasn't been to a meeting in about 20 years .. still calls and say's " Since you have the day off I would like to have you and your brothers over for dinner..(talking on eggshells, to be sure as to indicate any holiday insinuation)"

"That sounds great MOM"

"Is there anything you would like me to make"

"Sure how bout a Turkey and stuffing"

"No!! That is out of the question! and you know why!!!"

"Ok enchilladias!!" LOL

I guess since she's been out so long (inactive).. she is unaware of recent trends .. I've been encouraging her to go back to meetings.. The encouragement i recieved.. drove me here..

TT

• designs
    designs

Enchiladas con Pavo mmmmm

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

For the same reason that they have "present day" a few days after Christmas.Take advantage of the sales and get and give gifts,but still be able to say how "different" they are from everyone else...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While they are inconsistent on Thanksgiving, turkey really is just turkey, no matter when you eat it. If I eat a shrimp poorboy sandwich on a Friday during Lent, I am not celebrating the Catholic holiday. If I do something my wife considers "romantic" on Feb.14th, it doesn't mean I am participating in St. Valentine's Day.

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

In my old congregation the "friends" were reminded that having parties and dinners on worldly holiday days was giving a bad witness so no one went out or did anything to avoid getting in trouble.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

I know my family used to have turkey on Thanksgiving. And I've been know to deep fry one as well. But this past year my wife got mad at me when she learned I was planning to make a turkey. She said "can't you make turkey on any of the other 364 days of the year?" In an effort to not seem petty....I agreed not to make turkey.

Uber Dubs will go out of their way to NOT eat turkey, stuffing, corn, ham or ANYTHING that is or could be related to Thanksgiving. The reasoning? They are keeping separate from the world by making sure to NOT do what the world is doing on that day

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

What about the day after? I know far too many (myself included) who get up early, or just stay up, for all the after thanksgiving sales; doesn't that constitute a part of the celebration?

Ya know, cause nothing says Christian love like elbowing some guy in an insulin induced rage at 4am for the last cheap TV in Wal-Mart.

• just Ron
    just Ron

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gluttony !!!

marshmellow coverd sweet potatoes with wallnuts, pumpkin pie, lemon pie, apple pie, chocolate pie, cherry pie, bannana cream pie and a slice of turkey please.

Ron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit