Why Can JWs Eat Turkey On Thanksgiving & Still Say They Aren't Celebrating?

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I don't get it.

The idea is that it's ok to eat food on any day as everyday is a day of thanksgiving. It was the only holiday that I knew Witnesses to celebrate.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It's not a real holiday. I mean that's how I viewed it. I almost always had a turkey I think my personal rebel was lingering. Hey they were on sale and I had the day off to cook it

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Cause most of them get them for free or on sale. Not even JWs can pass that offer up.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Turkey is on special during November...why wouldn't you provide a fine meal for your family while saving money at the same time...just plain good stewardship if you ask me!

• james_woods
    james_woods

We used to have turkey for Thanksgiving at my non-witness grandmothers every year while witnesses.

Strangely, as an ex-witness I finally admitted to myself that I just really do not like turkey (not Thanksgiving style roasted turkey, anyway) - so now we always have a special dinner on that day but we buy either a ham or some roast ducks.

I might even BBQ steaks this year!

• minimus
    minimus

But it WAS just like a traditional Thanksgiving with all the fixings. The difference was that it was always on a Thursday and we had to still get our fat asses to the meeting that night.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

And you know, that's a pretty common question among people that work with JWs.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

We usually had our turkey on unThanksgiving day (Friday).

• sir82
    sir82

Growing up it was highly important NOT to eat turkey on the Thursday of Thanksgiving lest someone be "stumbled".

But EVERY JW family had the traditional Thanksgiving dinner on the following day (Friday).

Nowadays it doesn't seem to be a big deal if a JW eats the turkey on Thursday or not.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    We usually had our turkey on unThanksgiving day (Friday).

And of course THAT made it all perfectly OK! BTW - I used to love one common witness excuse for not having Thanksgiving. They could not credibly say it was pagan, so they fell back on the claim that it encouraged gluttony!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit