What could trigger a large proportion of JWs at once that this religion is a scam

by Mr Facts 62 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Here I go again:

You could have the Governing Body sodomize young boys on a parade float being towed down Broadway at high noon and Joe Witness would just say, "It's still the truth".

I'll go one further: You could have a flying saucer land next to the UN and proclaim that they've been guiding us for centuries. Next day, congregations would remind publishers to turn in their time and what the offer for the next month is.

That said, there is only one way I know of to precipitate a sudden collapse of the organization. It is the same 'only reason' that can cause a congregation to suddenly fold up (apart from publishers moving away). You need an open struggle at the top, the leadership.

This cult needs blind obedience to leaders - and if the leaders are in open warfare, that's when things fall apart. The Governing Body pretty much knows this, as a principle.

metatron

• Rocky_Girl
  • tootired2care
    tootired2care

If the end hasn't come in a few more years this burdensome life it should happen on it's own, as others have alluded to. In fact in many ways it's starting to happen now.

"Expectation postponed is making the heart sick" - Proverbs 13:12

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

Changing the "Blood Doctrine" would stumble a few, saying "higher education is good" would drive the older ones out, bitter they lived in poverty to preach this message. Saying "We don't know where we are in Bible Times, it's might be two thousand years from now!"

Minds are changing in the Kingdom Halls, you might not realize they are, it's a form of gradual mind shifting. We have more kids attending college than I have seen in my life. Friends are not feeling guilty to "attend meetings on vacations", this is new. People are not so convinced their friends in New York have all the answers, "Past Performance Is Indicative of Future Performance!" they don't want to be broke, some have seen how elderly JWs are treated like dirty paper towels, once used and headed for the trash can! Change is possible, it will take decades, be patient!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I concur with the above comments, it is a crying shame that there is not one single thing that is likely to happen that would have the desired effect, all JW's, despite being under mind control , are individuals to a degree, and it is for reasons that affect their individual hearts, different reasons to the next 20 or 30 JW's.

So, the necessary kind of event is so unlikely, hypothetical that IMHO it will not happen.

The WT/JW's will gradually wither and die, it will take decades, maybe longer to disappear.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Last Year Harold Camping said the rapture was going to occur in May 2011, did his following totally callapse? No. The reason why.....

Becuase despite the fact that all religion is bullshit, people who want to believe will believe no matter what. That is why cults like Scientoloigists, Mormons and JW's will always have followers.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

The term "Cognitive Dissoance" is used frequently here, it was coined after the author studied the "UFO cult" in the 1940s, how long did it take to implode?

• BroMac
    BroMac

the next generation change if done in the next year or so i think could see alot of jw's saying they're just making it up and never going back.

the 95 change saw lots of upheval in congregation where people jusr stopped going. the 2010 change also had an impact.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

The Society is moving, bunkering down, going into cash conservation mode, (Protect Precious Capital) moving upstate into their new compound. Selling their building in this environment makes you wonder, what do they know Donald Trump does not? What is their end game, why this consolidation of assets and huge cost cutting, as the Kingdom work is growing and growing beyond their capacity? Demand appears to be dropping for their services, logic would dictate as they cut magazines in half, what next, turn the power off half-way through the meetings, save a few bucks?

• irondork
    irondork

If Ray Franz had defected in the year 2012, how much more of an effect would his ability to articulate his story have been to the WTS? With access to the internet, a man with Ray's talents would have been devestating to the WT, I think. Completely put the WT out of business? I don't think so. But the WT would not have the upper hand in communications access to millions of people like it had in 1981.

I agree with metatron that there is probably nothing out there that can shut them down completely. But I think a Ray Franz-esque defection in the here and now would cause a HUGE rift. Many would wake up.

That Governing Body member should know that he will be warmly embraced and sheltered. He should never be anxious and say, ‘What am I to eat?’ or, ‘What am I to drink?’ or, ‘What am I to put on? For your friendly neighborhood apostate knows you need all these things. Keep on, then, seeking first the downfall of the Watchtower Society and the deliverance of others, and all these other things will be added to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit