What could trigger a large proportion of JWs at once that this religion is a scam

by Mr Facts 62 Replies latest jw friends

• Mr Facts
    Mr Facts

I am just thinking if there could ever be anything that would raise consciousness in the minds of millions of JWs that this a completely hoax. What could spark millions of them at once, any thoughts?.

• afreeman
    afreeman

I'm afraid history has shown us that nothing can cause such a reaction among JWs. Really big things (1975, the Rutherford power struggle) have happened in the past and they did not cause a mass exodus or anything like that.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I suppose if a large number of doubters and faders decided that they did not want to attend anymore, that'd might wake some of the others up. Particularly if many of these people are of the rank of elder. Another 1975 incident? Ray Franz incident?

• Mr Facts
    Mr Facts

It is really a pity that religion truly has a very strong influence on people's lives.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

IMHO, the only thing that would cause this is multiple GB members leaving at the same time, and publicly stating their reasons why for the world to hear. Basially, a schism at the top.

• Think About It
    Think About It

I think removing food from Assemblies would do it.

Think About It

• sir82
    sir82

Wait - you think that members of this religion - they who believe that:

-- All the world's problems stem from a talking snake convincing a naked lady to eat a piece of fruit 6,000 years ago;

-- The entire land mass of the planet was 100% covered with water, for a one-year period, 4400 years ago;

-- Birthday celebrations are bad because of 2 recorded instances where someone died at a birthday celebration;

-- A "worldwide preaching work" that doesn't even come close to reaching fully 1/2 of the world's population is a fulfillment of Matthew 24:14;

-- [fill in the blank with any of several dozen other loony beliefs]

....are capable of understanding / accepting / believing anything that would "trigger" a mental breakthrough as you have described?

Y'all are incredibly optimistic, or naive, or just as bonkers as they are.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    I'm afraid history has shown us that nothing can cause such a reaction among JWs. Really big things (1975, the Rutherford power struggle) have happened in the past and they did not cause a mass exodus or anything like that.

Except all those things happened before the advent of the internet. A proper scandal (not like the UN thing which is a bit of a non-issue IMO) in the nternet era could have serious repercussions for the society. Things no longer occur in a vacuum.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Selling their property, sticking the proceeds in a hedge fund (which they've been looking at) for a quick gain. Doesn't work out, they lose millions... all comes crashing down... R&F left reeling from the scandal....

• afreeman
    afreeman

Except all those things happened before the advent of the internet. A proper scandal (not like the UN thing which is a bit of a non-issue IMO) in the internet era could have serious repercussions for the society. Things no longer occuein a vacuum.

That's a good point. The Internet would give it proper coverage and spreading.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit