1914: Still Important to Watchtower in 2012

by leavingwt 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

98 years later, the 1914 date is still important to the Watchtower organization.

Below is a screenshot of a portion of page 19 from the May 15, 2012 Watchtower magazine.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Overlapping generations, you see.... ;P

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

It is one of their "distinguishing marks." Without it, Russell is just a washed-up Millerite wannabe with multiple failed prophecies. It is the only thing that superficially adds weight to their legitimacy.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Yep. Noticed a 607 reference as well a few paragraphs before.

Monkey nailed it. Overlapping bought them another 50 years.

If I'm still ticking in 2054, it will be funny as shit to see them still referencing the last days, starting 140 years ago.

• Room 215
    Room 215

what's that proverb about holding a mad dog by his ears? That's exactly their dilemma: let go and suffer a huge bite, keep holding on and face the erosion of their credibility, alread severly dented by the inexorable ticking of the clock.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

IMHO, it reinforces the value of Don Cameron's book, 'Captives of a Concept'.

http://captivesofaconcept.com/AboutTheBook.html

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Doublethink, they believe their own lies.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

They are caught between a rock and a hard place with the doctrine, let it go and they have nothing to back their claim to be chosen by Jesus in 1919 and therefore nothing to give them the justification for ruling 7 million with an iron rod, and more importantly to them no doubt, no reason to receive any donations of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And yet, draw attention to the doctrine in this way and they are risking it getting more scrutiny, and it won't take even alittle bit of scrutiny.

I ain't the sharpest tool in the box, but one day I read Daniel 4 without WT goggles on and thought "The fulfilment is right there in the chapter ! nothing about a greater fulfillment ! 1914 just isn't in the Bible !"

They cannot have too many doing that, so I am surprised they push it like this, but there again, most of the 7million will just yawn and then go on to the next piece of crap they are fed.

• possible-san
    possible-san

They had said like this.

“The year 1925 is a date definitely
    and clearly marked in the Scriptures,
    even more clearly than that of 1914.”

(The Watch Tower, July 15, 1924, p.211.)

My website has pointed out this.
    http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/pages/jw/prophets.html

possible

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Captives of a Concept is an awesome book. Essential reading for Witnesses IMO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit