I need some advice folks!

by DonutZ! 27 Replies latest social relationships

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Counseling is definitely not free. It probably averages slightly over $100 per one-hour session. People have told me about places that give discounts or free counseling, and I looked for a relative. I never found it. I did eventually get that relative to a psychiatrist that accepted Medicaid, but it was limited to 10 sessions a year. For myself, my insurance springs for it after the first $350 in a calendar year, but they have to approve ongoing sessions (which they always do).

Still, it's probably worth it in your case. I would suggest you strain your wallet to spring for once every 5 or 6 weeks. I often suggest counseling when it seems appropriate, but I understand that most people will not go because of money. If you really want this marriage to work, find a way to get counseling. It won't work if you just hope it will.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

OH, I am not at all against what BP said. I was answering from your concerns about facing your coworker, assuming you wanted to make the marriage work. If you (or she) doesn't want to make it work, get out.

• Madge
    Madge

It sounds to me that your wife is insecure. Either about her relationship and marriage with you, or about herself. Generally, I have found then if I am off seeking another mans attention it has little to do with sex, and alot to do with all the nice things and attention I would receive. When you are with someone for awhile, we tend to start taking those things for granted. Does she or has she ever had self esteem issues? If so, I would suggest counseling, because if she is and seeking another mans attention is a way of reassuring herself, you are going to be in for a long ride and serious hurt. Being in a relationship is literally caring about the other persons feelings more then your own, but remember this goes both ways. When both people do this, the effects are amazing. Unfortunately, most people cant see past their own wants, and put themselves first (I have been guilty of this myself).

Because it was really long and romantic texts that you found, in my opinion, it isnt about sex. Its about intimacy. She may have unresolved issues from past relationships, or she may enjoy the effects it has on you when you find these sorts of messages because your reaction (as messed up as this may be) is reassurace that you actually care about her. I would strongly suggest counseling, if for no other reason then to get to get to the bottom of her reasoning.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

DonutZ, sorry for the tough emotional situation you are in. That's a horrible way to start a marriage. I would be more concerned about the emotional relationship than if they just had sex. Men have sex with their c**k, women have sex with their heart. In our area there are counseling opportunities that charge on a "sliding scale" based on your ability to pay. Counseling is definitely worth it.

Best wishes

Doc

• DonutZ!
    DonutZ!

OTWO- I'll try to save some money or look for free counseling somewhere. Do you just sit and talk with a counselor together? Madge- To be honest I don't know if she has a low self esteem. Would that have something to do with her past? She told me she was a victim of sexual abuse by her stepfather and cousin when she was only 5. She said to me that ever since she was abused its been harder for her to say no and that she's weaker emotionally. Could this be true? Also I love what you say here "Being in a relationship is literally caring about the other persons feelings more then your own, but remember this goes both ways." Very nice words!!! DOC- You're right, this is a bad start. And yes I am more worried about the emotions and actual feelings she had during this affair but she always denies any and tells me it was just physical. Counseling is definitely on my to do list now though!

• Madge
    Madge

DonutZ! I sent you a PM

• talesin
    talesin

She told me (or confessed I guess?) because she said it was bothering her a lot, her conscience and what not.

Sounds like it's all about her. Also, I agree with you about the emotional attachment, romantic texting, etc.

Agree with BP. Get out now. The longer you wait, the harder it will be. No kids, I guess? No? I would run as fast as I could.

t

• DonutZ!
    DonutZ!

Madge- Got it! Talesin- But how is it all about her?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

She confessed because it was bothering HER alot, that it was hurting HER conscience etc.

Nowhere do we hear that she did it out of concern for YOU.

Get out before she falls pregnant (on purpose or otherwise). Once a partner has cheated on you, it's very hard to forget it, let alone get over it. It's best to cut your ties now and get on with your life.

• oompa
    oompa

one week before the marriage huh? ironic that this is the second post in one week about fooling around with somebody who is engaged...weird...and no i never did that!!!

you already had concerns about her being romantic with others before you married her...i only wish you had known about it the week she did it...if you had...would you have married her?

i think that is a key question because the only thing that has changed is some vows and your names on a piece of paper...they were phony because she was concealing so you did not have full disclosure...so turn back the clock and pretend you had known before the wedding...i have a feeling it would have been cancelled or at least postponed...

as much as i love forgiveness and i have no capacity to hold a grudge...i would at least separate ASAP!!!!!!! she needs to think long and hard about how she could do that to a man she is so in love with that she wants to grow old with him and maybe have children with....

and so do you....................good luck...........oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit