How many of us have Higher Learning, and still mop floors

by Quarterback 53 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

That's part of the reason I chose a uni in a metropolitan area rather than a remote college town.

Well put! Education plus experience is a great combination, but you don't get the experience you need spending your internship working at the local drive in (especially

if that is all that is available in Remotesville...)

• hoser
    hoser

I've seen both ends of the spectrum.

Where I live there are a lot of millionares who never made it past grade 9. They just worked hard from the time they were 16. Started a small business and grew their business over time. I know probably at least a dozen people who fit this profile.

On the other end I know people with useless masters degrees that are well working as laborers. I know quite a few like this too.

a few with Busness Admin certificates that can't manage their own household, let alone run and office.

I personally think that it has more to do with the individuals work ethic and ambitions more than the amount of education.

hoser

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I don't have Higher Learning, and pull cables for a living (OK - I do also sweep the workshop floor at the end of each shift!).

With nothing higher than an Advanced Trade qualification, the best I was able to do was get a job managing a power station in a malarial jungle clearing, in some Third World Country - which I gave away after there were two attempts on my life in as many years.

During my final year at high school, some of the brain-boxes in the congregation assured me that "you made more money doing unskilled work, than you made at a skilled job." Fortunately, I woke up to that one while there was still time to at least learn a trade - and then slip in a paper in Advanced Trade Studies as well.

Bill.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

QUATERBACK, the reason these people are all cleaning windows and mopping floors is because everyone above them has degrees (the majority).

Dont believe the hype, a higher education is better on the CV than a lower education, simple as.

BUT you are missing a huuuuge point. The JWs would have you believe that higher education is about getting a good job. As I am in higher education, my 5th year and I live with and have been surrounded by all sorts of people on all sorts of degrees, I can assure you and the WT that you're wrong. Going to college and university is an amazing experience, it's about self development and learning. Knowlege, information, developing critical thinking, these are all beautiful things in their own right. A 21 year old discovering the wonders of string theory, the war of independence, human anatomy, Egyptian history, the psychology of social thinking, defending and upholding law, learning the physiology and anatomy of humankind and how to help heal its pathologies.. ..

The list of topics and studies is as large as your imagination. It's about passion, it's about love of a topic, it's about learning and self development, it's about getting to know who you are... The job prospects are a bonus.

The best thing about education is YOU ARE THE PRODUCT, it's you that becomes valuable, you become what people want, your expertise, your help.

The WT hate it, I ts self empowering and makes you aware of so much and you learn to trust your own opinion, your ability to critically appraise information. You are taught to keep on asking.. To dig deeper... Why..what...how...when... Where.......why....what....how..... Hence most that enter higher ed leave the JWs. Certainly every single one I know of. At worst, the person leaves the JWs and tells people about what the JWs are doing wrong, shows them the ABC5 tablet in the British museum that proves Jerusalem didn't fall in 607, shows them the constituents of blood to prove that they would be accepting a blood donation, shows them that language did not develop when god got annoyed at Babel, shows them the number of species of animals and questions Noah's boat story, discovers DINOSAURS and how long they were around for... discovers NEANDERTHALS... Etc etc etc

Im studying medicine, there are plenty of degrees that lead to jobs. Be smart with the degree you choose......simple.

But remember that is not what higher education is about! Go research the history of universities, it was never about jobs.... Thank the monks. Education and learning is a beautiful thing. The WT turned study and reading into a monotonous chore, a horrid and empty task. Real education couldn't be further from that experience. Try it quarterback.... You may just love it.... (and get a better job)

Snare x

Sorry about the typos .... IPAD.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Cole haan? Mrs J, can you get me a hookup on some purses and shoes?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

May I add, it also provides you with contacts and opportunities for research and publishing, even inventing!

I have invented some medical technology that will reduce infections (always wanted to own a patent tee hee), its being trialed in hospitals next month. All of this could not have happened without being in university. I have made amazing contacts and have acces to immense data and knowlege, professors and Nobel prize winners. I was invited via the uni to present my invention to the NHS ( uk health system) this week, the NHS have now set up a research commission named after my invention to try and help us get it made and into hospitals..... That kind of access is not available outside of academia.

I am not rich, ,I have no finances but student loans, no family support and I am not super intelligent, I just work hard and enjoy my subject.... That's what university is about xxx

Snare x

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

"Higher learning" - is that actually a phrase people use outside of the Kingdom Hall? Here in the UK I can't say I have ever heard a non-JW use that phrase.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Thanks, Snare and a Racket. I have already worked in the world for close to 40 yrs. I did take some advanced courses at a College when they were telling me not to, because 1975 was very soon in coming.

Because of my smart move back then, I can retire with a great pension. The ones that told me not to, are still worrking.

Back then, the training was almost 100% successful....I'm not seeing that right now. I do understand the knowledge advantages, and how interesting it could be.

Billy, thanks for your comments. It sounds like it will work out for you. I know what challenges you faced when you left the Bethel scene. You are to be commended.

Appreciated all your comments, friends.

QB

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I have a bachelor's degree in Biology and one in Education. I was thinking practically, combining wanting to learn about life, origins etc with something that would help me be employable long term.

I gave teaching an earnest go, spending more than 3 years supply teaching. But I learned that it just wasn't for me. I loved helping younger ones "get" something, but I just didnt have it in me to control the class adequately. You really only learn some of these things by trying.

It wasn't feasible to add more debt and go back to college, so I took up whatever service industry jobs were around. I've been working these last few years now at a call center. Its low pay but that doesn't bother me at all.

What stings is that some local JW elders have used me as their case in point, pushing their anti-post secondary education agenda. They've even made comments in my presence. I only really wished I was more successful so that I couldn't be used that way by the WTS.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"Cole haan? Mrs J, can you get me a hookup on some purses and shoes?"

I wish I could too but they don't carry my size.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit