How many of us have Higher Learning, and still mop floors

by Quarterback 53 Replies latest jw friends

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

A. For making money? Maybe.

B. For opening your mind? Definitely not! (Provided your incentive to study is not A.)

NOLAW

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Higher learning and responsible adults are the way of the future. They are the ones that are ultimately gonna have to figure how to fix the world, if possible. At least patch it up as best they can. Maybe find a really good renewable source of energy or something.

Higher learning shouldn't just be about making money. It should be about making a real difference, IMO.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Yes, I agree, Knowsnothing. But, after fixing the world, and receiving the Nobel Peace prize..what can you do after that? How much do you get for winning that?

• finally awake
    finally awake

Higher learning has always held the risk of being a waste of time and money. You aren't doing yourself any favors spending $100,000 on classes if you end up flunking out. However, just because a lot of people are finding it hard to get started in their chosen career right now doesn't mean that the effort they put into their education was wasted.

• winewine211
    winewine211

yup, that's nice analysis.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Wow, $100,000 is a large debt to pay back if your income may not sustain that debt repayment. This must be quite the burden for someone starting out in life.

I remember the days when the government provided education, and learning skills for students for free or subsidized.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    But, after fixing the world, and receiving the Nobel Peace prize..what can you do after that? How much do you get for winning that?

If you made a difference in the world, and you know your life on this earth is a blink of an eye, can't you leave at peace knowing the immense impact your work had?

Again, it's not what you get, monetarily speaking. Why all the preoccupation about making absurd amounts of cash? Do you think that is the vehicle to happiness?

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

I'm a blue collar worker making 100 grand a year. Doing better than my college educated friends.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My sister went to Berkeley, graduated in 1991, got recruited and employed by the May Co., eventually landed a very nice position with Cole Haan and is in senior management at their Dallas office and is making about $200,000 year. She's my example that higher education can get one somewhere. I like my example better.

• finally awake
    finally awake

There are people who make good money and enjoy their work without having a college education, and there are people who went to college and can't get even a minimum wage job. The flat odds are better that the college educated person will outearn the non-college educated person, even after accounting for the time and money spent getting the degree.

Mortgaging your future to pay for an education is rarely a smart move. If a person is determined to pursue a career that will not pay enough to justify the cost of a particular institution, then pick a cheaper school or a better paying job. In a perfect world, money would never be a consideration when choosing a school or a career, but in this real world those points have to be considered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit