Pre-emptive shunning - a growing reality

by cedars 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

00Dad, So true!

• Diest
    Diest

On the question of should their be reform in the JWs....it should have an option for...Not existing.

• myusername
    myusername

I don't know if this is interesting, but many human resources use shunning as a way to fire people. Well, they don't call it shunning but they try to make work life unbearable for the person so they quit their job. This is just to prevent lawsuits and is a very common way to fire people. I've seen it many times and I think it was even done to me once. I even saw a person's cubicle moved into the basement. This technique involves coworkers ignoring/not including the person.

• cedars
    cedars

Many thanks Diest, you're not the first to comment on that. Rest assured, the "reforming question" will itself undergo reform at the end of this year! I do appreciate the feedback.

myusername - yes it is an interesting observation. Many on this forum have long claimed that Jehovah's Witnesses are primarily a publishing company, and the religious element comes a poor second. The fact that we see corporate tactics employed to oust undesirable employees should come as no surprise.

Cedars

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing
    myusername - yes it is an interesting observation. Many on this forum have long claimed that Jehovah's Witnesses are primarily a publishing company, and the religious element comes a poor second. The fact that we see corporate tactics employed to oust undesirable employees should come as no surprise. -Cedars

The Theocratic Ministry School and Service Meeting should be renamed the Sales Technique Meeting. Honestly, I cringe when I have to sit through "demonstrations."

• myusername
    myusername

This is probably a dumb question, but is someone rich from all of these publications since it's basically a publishing/sales company? Who's at the top?

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

No one member benefits extraordinarily. I think its more about maintaining power. Think 1984 and the Inner Party. They don't live with extreme luxuries, but they live comfortably enough and they maintain control. They (GB) have their futures set for themselves. They also perpetuate the power hold to other generations, although in the case of 1984 to maintain power, in this case to maintain religious orthodoxy from "worldy, Babylonic, Christendom" contamination.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

The leaders live in rather plush luxury, having quarters (each of the leaders have their own building level and staff at HQ in NYC), paid expenses for travel (international conventions double as 2-3 weeks of 4 and 5-star all-expenses-paid hotels for the leaders), luxury lease cars with drivers, personal assistants and security, viewed and treated as gods by their subjects, personal medical staff, cooks, nutritionists, lawyers and a permanent place if they ever retire...

The new living quarters they are building for themselves in the countryside of NY has nothing missing either with tennis courts, swimming pools etc.

• flipper
    flipper

CEDARS-- Whether the shunning is pre-emptive or arranged by the elders , shunning is shunning . Even the elders did pre-emptive shunning even though NOT giving talks at Service meetings marking someone. I see the point you are making though. Lots of people did pre-emptive shunning and it occurs regularly all the time in JW land. They're all just a bunch of stinky Behemoths. Many of us we're unceremoniously "marked" in a personal way by many JW's we thought were our friends. A bunch of paranoid freaks trying to rat each other out and control one another

• cedars
    cedars

flipper - I would agree with that. Irrespective of how or why it is sanctioned, shunning is still shunning - and it certainly has the same damaging effect on one's emotional well-being.

Knowsnothing - you are right. We have little idea of the full extent to which the GB individually profits monetarily from their positions. What is known is that they enjoy unparalleled power, influence and prestige. This alone is incentive enough to perpetuate organizational policies that include practices as damaging as shunning, in all its forms.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit