Dealing with elders during my mom's surgery

by noni1974 48 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

My mother has been working forwell over a year to have a gastric bypass and she finally got the ok from her doctor and insurance. The date is set for this coming Friday. Although, I'm not 100% sure this will happen because she was diagnosed with pneumonia and a partially collapsed lung this past week. She has been sick for a couple of weeks and she finally saw her doctor the other day. She is on meds for the infection and we are hoping her surgery does happen on Friday, but if it doesn't it will happen in the next few weeks as soon as she is healed from the pneumonia.

I'm nervous about dealing with the elders during her surgery. She told me that 2 elders will be there to make sure she doesn't get any blood. The last time I had to deal with this kind of thing was when my uncle died almost 7 years ago. It is what drove me here to JWN, after being out of the Borg for 7 years.

One of the elders who was visiting my uncle cornered me in my uncles room and told me that I was making others feel uncomfortable by being there and he suggested that I go find a place in the hospital to wait on my own. I left and gathered my stuff and ran out of the hospital crying. I only came back because my mother called and and talked to me then she had my aunt get on the phone and convince me to stay. They said that no one had said anything to him and that he over stepped his place by saying anything to me. They told me that my family especially my aunt and uncle wanted me there. They needed me. The elder left and I stayed.

Anyway, I'm very nervous about two things, number one about the surgery in general because it is a scary thing for my mother to have surgery in her condition. She has lost a lot of weight already in order to even have the surgery, and she has been on a liquid diet for over a week now to prepare for the surgery. Number two, I'm scared that these elders will treat me bad and I know that this time I won't be able to suck it up and leave. I will go off and ask security to remove the elders because they are not family. My mom tells me that these elders are not Bob Maxwell ( the douchebag elder from my uncles room) and they will treat me nicely. They know I'm DA ed and she swears they will treat me as if I was any other person while we are in contact.

The only thing that makes me feel even a little better is that my mother is having her surgery at the Cleveland Clinic and she has been through a program where they looked at her health in everyway, including mental health, before they agreed to do the surgery. My mom also had to meet certian goals before that happened as well, so she had to prove her dedication to the process. So far she she went from well over 500 pounds to 357 pounds in the last year. She has been following her diet faithfully and gone to all her appointments for the different doctors she needed to see. I can see that she is determined to get herself well and this surgery is needed.

I'm trying to talk myself out of going to the hospital with a chip on my sholder with the elders. It is not going to be easy. Any experiance dealing with this kind of situation will be helpful.

• cofty
    cofty

noni that's a tough one. I am certain I would not be able to remain polite to any elder who crossed the line. Does your mum want them there?

Remember you are family and they are not you are in a strong position.

• noni1974
    noni1974

Yes she wants them there. My dad is DF ed and I'm DA ed and these two signed her blood card or whatever they call that now. They are only there to enforce her wishes about blood. There will be other family there as well, my sister is flying in and I'm pretty sure at least one of my aunts will be there for the surgery. I know I will be there.

My past dealings with the one elder has tainted my feelings for them all. Athough, without that run in I would not be here and my life would be a lot different than it is now. I can tell you that if the elders say anything to me that is disrespectful or I don't like, I will go off on them. I will be nice as long as they are, because my mother would want me to. It will kill me though.

• cofty
    cofty

I think if one of them annoyed me I would invite him to join me in a quiet place with no audience and tell him what will happen next if he doesn't show some respect.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Hang in there Noni

Just plan on being gracious unless they get stupid. Hopefully there are no complications during surgery and once it's over and the blood watch has passed, they'll be off like a shot and probably won't spend a whole lot of time on your mum during her recovery.

Sending positive thoughts to you and your mum.

• finally awake
    finally awake

No advice, but lots of good wishes for you and your mom :)

• noni1974
    noni1974

I do know that the Cleveland Clinic has WiFi everywhere so I can bring my laptop and surf the web while they are there. I also will bring my homeowork from school and keep busy. That should keep me from looking for trouble with the elders. LOL I hope these guys are really nice like my mom swears they are. If not they will at least be in the hospital when they need a removing-Noni's-foot-from- thier-ass-ectomy if they piss me off.

• Violia
    Violia

My sibling had surgery and I was there all day and went to their home to assist them for a while. The day I was there for the surgery I noted a elder was there. The doctor actually gave the update to him-not me. I felt like telling them all that if my sibling wished to bleed to death, they could do it. I never got a thank you -they felt it was Jehovah's blessing I was there and so He used me. He can use rocks too, you know.

I had the HLC around when my mom was having her surgery and it was very annoying.

Holding a good thought for your mom

just to say, Madonna just kicked arse at the super bowl half time.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Signing her blood card doesn't give the Bozos any special family position. They are clerks in your mother's religion. That is it. If she wanted them there and they are civil, then all fine and good and hopefully you can ignore them. But if they say anything like "you should leave or isolate yourself" then you feel free to contact the staff and security to say how these men who are not family are trying to violate your mother's wishes to have you there.

Strength to you in your mother's time of need for people that actually love her.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Hey Noni,you are your mothers child, they're window washers (or whatever the Hell they do) don't sweat it, first of kin comes first and the medical community knows that. PLEASE call security on those assholes if they do get too pompous and remind them you are your mothers child, as if they didn't already know that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit