Dealing with elders during my mom's surgery

by noni1974 48 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

The surgery didn't happen today. It had to be rescheduled because her nursing home was giving my mom a blood thinner that was supposed to be given to her after the surgery. The doctor didn't want to take the risk because of the no blood issue. Now my mom has to do her liquid diet for two weeks routine again . I'm upset that this happened but I'm glad the doctor decided to be careful with my mother.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I know the build up was hard. This is for the best. hopefully everything will be fine in two weeks.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Liquid diet for two more weeks?? And then whatever she has to do AFTER the surgery...??? Yuk...

Your poor mom...

Well, at least the problem will have been resolved... And she can go back to eating REAL food.

• noni1974
    noni1974

My mom will find out Monday when the surgery will happen. Until then she is supposed to eat again. She hasn't had any soild food for two weeks as of today because they need to clean up her bowl so that her insides don't have any food in them at all for the surgery. She really has been good about following her diet. She has lost over 160 pounds before the surgery. At the moment she is almost in the "safe zone" in weight for the surgery. It will still be risky for her, but the more weight she loses before surgery the better it is for her. They are going to try to get her on the schedule in the next month. Another thing is that she has had a cough for a couple of months and this will give her body more time to recover.

I guess it is a good thing really that it didn't happen today. My sister will have to come back up to Cleveland again for the surgery thpugh. I did get to meet the elder from the HLC today and he seemed nice enough. He spoke to me and shook my hand and was friendly to me. My aunt was nice as well. She treated me very nice and even intorduced me to the elder, there was no mention of me being DA ed. She spoke to me like normal and even offered to help me get a job with the company she works for. All in all it wasn't as bad as I though it was going to be. That makes me feel much better about the situation. Plus now I know the doctor isn't going to take his job lightly and will do the best he can for my mother. My other aunt wanted to be there but she was sick and decided to stay home today, so maybe she will be able to come next time.

• ssn587
    ssn587

Don't be shy had an elder show up at hospital when wife was during had him removed, a word to security should be all that's needed

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Noni, I have been following your reports..as you know hubby was a JW and when he was facing the blood issue he had me fill out all the paper work for the POA etc. He listed ME as the one to make decisions for him regarding his healthcare. I told hiim I couldn't guarantee that I would refuse blood for him if necessary to save him even for a little while. Even then he still appointed me rather than his JW mom or sister. I was shocked. I really think if he thought blood would have saved hiim he would have taken it. I really do!

If they had pulled that stuff with me in the hospital I would have taken it outside..not in front of hubby. I wouldn't make a scene in front of him..he had enough he was going thru (as did I). The JW's should show respect for any relatives, no matter what religion or standing in the org. if JW....

I know you are a strong person and care about your Mom..it sounds like she has been amazing and losing the weight is wonderful. I just watched them operating on a 500 pound woman on TV ..she lost so much weight they had to operate a few more times to remove the excess skin.

Has you mom filled out all the paper work that the JW's have? Who did she name as the person that would make the decisions of her healthcare in the hospital?..
    Hubby had his but the hospital and Drs. kept losing the papers.They would look at the top paper on his chart but overlook the last pages where the directives were..They even asked what blood type he was one time..scared hiim to death...

Big hugs for you and your family..I bet you will be glad when this is all over..

Snoozy..

• zeb
    zeb

Your mum is to be mightily congratulated for following the required procedures and you to my dear sister for (obviously) helping here along.

The medical centre sound like they have it well organised and I have a fine feeling all will be well for you both. Thats a hell of a lot of weight to carry and then to lose. Stick at it.

In this country (Australia) FAMILY get prioroty in contact with the patient over anyone else.

Lots of love.

• noni1974
    noni1974

My mom's surgery has been rescheduled for March 23. My mom kept her diet until last night because she was hoping they would do it much sooner. Now she can eat solid food again and has to go back to her liquid diet on March 9. My mom really is doing everything she can to get this sugery and save her life. I'm proud of her.

• AnneB
    AnneB

Any word on whether your mom will have surgery this week? Is everything calm with the elders?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit