Las Malvinas AKA The Falkland Islands - why the argy-bargy?

by cedars 319 Replies latest members politics

• cedars
    cedars

soft+gentle - in that case, I would get up to spec on it.

Argentina has no real claim to the islands. The fact that the islanders who actually live there want the territory to be British makes any "discussions" a non starter even if it did.

Yes, Britain has a colorful past when it comes to colonialism. I'm ashamed of some of the atrocities committed by my country in centuries past. However, the Falklands are legitimate British overseas territory, and the Argentinians only want them because (a) they're nearby (b) the government wants a distraction from its own internal issues, and (c) there's the possibility of oil being discovered and exploited.

For some reason, Emilie has fallen right into her government's lap on this issue, and fights logic and common sense with astonishing voracity.

Cedars

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Er...soft+gentle...Argentina didn't exist in 1776!

And Spain, every bit as "colonial" as Britain...and colonial is not a pejorative word but just a historical fact, like the relationship of the US with the Cherokee nation and so many more...Spain was entirely commensurate with Britain from the power point of view.

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

cedars, thanks for your reply. Emilie comes accross to me as having taken the time to understand the issues involved and imo is taking an even handed approach. What she says agrees with the research I have done.

• cedars
    cedars

soft+gentle - there's nothing "even handed" about ignoring the rights to self-determination of the island's inhabitants, who have spoken out unequivocally that they want their islands to remain British.

I would read the statement by the islanders that I posted as a link on this thread if I were you. That should form part of your research.

Cedars

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

er chariklo, I think your comment is a little eurocentric, don't you think

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

cedars, as you are my team-mate I am going to refrain from scoring any own goals - over and out. work beckons

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

No, soft+gentle, just historically accurate!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Team-mate? What am I missing?

I'm a Spurs fan myself!

• cedars
    cedars

On a serious note soft+gentle, if you're going to spring to Emilie's defence, please do it based on facts rather than any differences you and I may have had in the past. I actually think this is quite a serious issue, because Argentina's constant whinging is creating a destabilizing effect in an otherwise peaceful region, and endangering the livelihoods of the islanders, who are dependent on a good relationship with their mainland neighbors for economic viability.

The islanders feel they are being "bullied" by Argentina, and I'm inclined to agree with them. Emilie has bought into her government's propaganda on this heavily, and argues with great voracity on this thread without saying hardly anything of note on other threads. Her compatriot rowan has an altogether more balanced outlook which she chooses to ignore. I'm not questioning her motives, but I feel her username indicates that she came here with an agenda to push, and she shows no signs of relenting on this even if she is proved wrong unequivocally over a complicated string of events that happened nearly two centuries ago.

if I were you, I would read the statement from the islanders on the link I provided, and also check out the timeline submitted by Besty to show how briefly the islands were under Argentinian "control".

Cedars

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

chrariklo, cedars and I have had our very own argy bargies in the past and got nowhere. we called a truce and I was welcomed to the team.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit