Las Malvinas AKA The Falkland Islands - why the argy-bargy?

by cedars 319 Replies latest members politics

• cedars
    cedars

Hello folks

Although I was alive during the Falklands conflict in the 80s, I was too young to really register what happened. To this day, it seems difficult to comprehend how a country like Argentina could look at a group of islands belonging to another country and say "Hey, why not try invading those? There's not much else to do round here..." - sadly forgetting in the process that the military might of the sovereign nation sworn to defend those islands significantly surpassed anything that the Argentinians could muster.

Not surprisingly, the happless Argentinians got their asses kicked all the way back from whence they came. One would think they would "pipe down" as we say in England, and notch it down to experience and a few too many drinks.

But no, far from it. Now I hear the Argentinians are making noises again, and have backed up their words with a blockade of the "disputed" islands. They're also getting all flustered by Prince William's deployment to the Falklands, even though he'll just be flying around in a search and rescue helicopter (hardly a potent military threat).

Obviously, I'm biased in all of this because I'm British, but I would genuinely be fascinated to hear from any English-speaking Argentinians as to why this sort of behaviour is called for. After all, the islanders themselves want to remain British, so what's the problem?

Yes, I know the Falklands are geographically closer to Argentina than to, say, Cornwall - but surely that alone isn't a reason for invasion? By the same logic, Canada would invade Greenland, taking it from Denmark, and the Channel Islands would be swiped by the French.

Am I missing something?

Cedars

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Oil. UK is busy prospecting for oil in the area. If they find viable deposits, it'll be war all over again. If you listen to the British version of history, and the Argentinean version, these differ. Both countries lay claim to the islands. The fact that they are populated by the British seem not to matter to the Argies. It's complicated.

• cedars
    cedars

Vidqun, thanks for your take on things. It wouldn't surprise me if oil rights, or rights to some other natural resource, played a part somewhere. Maybe the Argies have their eyes on the Falkland sheep? Who knows.

I'm sure the history of the islands is very complicated, and as you say, both sides will have their own versions. However, it's not like the islands had a native Inca, Aztec or Mayan poplation (or whatever tribal persuasion the native Argentinians were). Both the North and South American continents essentially tell the story of collonialism by Europeans, so if the Brits were the only ones bothered to colonize the Falklands, then why not leave it there?

I sense we're on the same page with this.

Cedars

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

The first time the Argentinians invaded, it was mostly because they needed some sort of big distraction away from the crumbling regime. This time...I don't know why.

The only major loss I recall reading about from back then was a destroyer taken out by an Exocet missile. But the British armed forces of 2012 aren't the armed forces of 1982. The fight would be far more even if Argentina attacked this time around. I suspect they'd be begging for help from the U.S.

• cedars
    cedars

I appreciate your viewpoint botchtowersociety, but please give our armed forces some credit! They may have been butchered somewhat by a needlessly invasive spending review, but I'm pretty sure we could still sink an Argentinian ship if called upon to do so! Not that I'm anxious to see an armed conflict, but HM Armed Forces aren't quite as decrepit as you seem to make out.

That said, if it turns out the Argies have been hiding some aces up their sleeves in the form of WMDs, I'm sure our yank friends would come riding to the rescue once again!

No offense to any Argentinians on this forum!

Cedars

• cofty
    cofty

We no longer have an aircraft carrier to defend the Falklands and no long range bombers. However we have a much larger force based on the islands now than back in 1982. If Argentina tried to invade it would be a serious fire-fight. Britain's options would be limited unless they wait until our new carrier is ready.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I am sure Britain would put up a great fight...but, Britain doesn't have the ability to project force it once had.

Britain could not reclaim the Falklands if Argentina invades, warns General Sir Michael Jackson

In an interview with The Sunday Telegraph , the former head of the army, General Sir Michael Jackson, says defence cuts have made it "impossible" to win the islands back after a successful invasion, in the way the British task force did in 1982.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9046826/Britain-could-not-reclaim-the-Falklands-if-Argentina-invades-warns-General-Sir-Michael-Jackson.html

The truth is we couldn't defend anything further than the other side of the Channel.

Less than a month ago President Obama left these shores after a highly successful State visit that appeared to leave the ‘special relationship’ between Britain and America in better shape than it had been for years.

And yet only last week, the United States was not only signing a declaration calling for Britain and Argentina to begin negotiations over the future sovereignty of the Falkland Islands, but also providing an uncomfortable clue as to their preferred outcome.

They referred to the islands by their Argentinian name, the Malvinas. This doesn’t really leave too much doubt about which way the wind may be blowing, does it?

As one of those intimately involved in the successful retaking of the Falkland Islands in 1982 – indeed today is the 29th anniversary of their liberation at the end of the war – this marked shift in the American position sets all sorts of alarm bells ringing.

Indeed, if I was the Prime Minister I’d be on the first plane to Washington and asking my old table-tennis partner: ‘Hang on a minute; we’re your closest ally – what the hell’s going on?’

It really is that serious. For without American support, the Falklands, the reclaiming of which cost 253 brave British lives, are now perilously close to being indefensible.

Admiral Sir Mark Stanhope’s warning yesterday that Britain does not even have enough ships to continue even the small operation in Libya, highlights the weakened state in which defence cuts have left our navy; a position from which we are incapable of defending our territory in the south Atlantic...... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2003263/Falkland-Islands-Britain-defend-English-Channel.html
  • tornapart
    tornapart

Can't imagine why either side would want a repetition of last time .. all that bloodshed over a couple of islands. Most of the soldiers that died in the war were mainly conscripted boys. It was all so pointless.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    However we have a much larger force based on the islands now than back in 1982.

From what I've read, the garrison is only 1500 or so strong. That is more than the 250 or so back in 1982, but that isn't a very large force, IMHO, although I suspect the British forces are far more capable than the Argentinian ones, and defense is generally easier than attack.

• cofty
    cofty

From what I've read, the garrison is only 1500 or so strong.

And all of them signed up for a tour of the Falklands for an easy posting watching penguins and drinking with the locals. oops!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit