Las Malvinas AKA The Falkland Islands - why the argy-bargy?

by cedars 319 Replies latest members politics

• Azazel
    Azazel

Here's my two cents worth.

Argentina has just got to suck it up that they lost those islands long before the Faulkland Isle War and move forward.

I say this because my hereditery homeland East Prussia which had been a settled established kingdom since the 1200's was greedily carved up by the Soviets and the Allies after WW2 and 99% of the German population was removed. Does this piss me off? Yes of course it does but life goes on and you dont hear the German Government crying about it.

Good argument made besty but i woudnt bother anymore. Why throw pearls before swine?

Az

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

There are such things as statutes of limitations and they say possession is nine-tenths of the law.

Advantage UK.

• besty
    besty

this would be the perfect time for a JWN poll

• sizemik
    sizemik

It's a miniature palestine . . . Each side believes they have a greater claim . . . and always will. Like knotted canines.

I'm only going from memory as I was in my 20's then . . . but I seem to recall Ronnie getting nervous about the whole thing and proposing Maggie stop the British force half-way and get around the table . . . but Maggie wouldn't here of it. I'm sure someone will correct me?

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

size, Jenkins and Hastings' supply all the details of those events in The Battle for the Falklands. £3.99 on kindle. Maggie was a toughie and she was taken off guard by the whole situation.

If there is a poll I would go with the leaseback option.

• cedars
    cedars

sizemik - I'm no longer contributing to this thread, but I thought I'd just interject and tell you you're correct. The recent film "The Iron Lady" with Meryl Streep playing Maggie has a few scenes portraying the conflict from a British perspective. An American ambassador approaches Maggie telling her to get round the table with the Argentinians because the islands are so far away from the UK. Maggie has none of it - reminding the ambassador that the US didn't turn its back on Hawaii at Pearl Harbor just because those islands were far away from the US mainland. (I'm sure LMSA will love that analogy, lol!)

Cedars

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

on the other hand cedars - in Rhodesia Britain did not intervene to "uphold the concept of majority self-determination" - The Battle for the Falklands - (64% - kindle edition)

• cedars
    cedars

s+g - that may be, but when I refer to self-determination, I refer to the islanders seeking citizenship of a country that WANTS their citizenship. It's a bilateral thing. I'm sure there are many cases of the UK cutting adrift countries that it was no longer able to support. The UK still wants the Falklands, and the Falklands still want the UK - case closed.

I like Besty's reasoning, repeated by Azazel above. Regardless of the rights or wrongs of issues such as these, eventually idealism must give way to pragmatism. I personally believe Argentina has no claim to the Falklands, because it was barely a country itself when these "skirmishes" took place. Even if there is some tenuous claim because of where a flag was or wasn't planted, or where a plaque was or wasn't erected, the fact is the Islands are British, period. It's best to get used to the idea rather than continue to throw tantrums at the UN and cause diplomatic tension. If the Islanders wanted to become Argentinian, that would be different. I would be fully supportive of their rights to choose Argentina as their new "parent" nation. However, they overwhelmingly want to remain British, so it's a non-starter.

Cedars

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

fair enough cedars - but I wonder who is really being idealistic here. For example pragmatism would suggest that if it is going to take as many soldiers as there are inhabitants on the Islands to ensure that they are safe then one would consider other alternatives like diplomatic talks being prioritised, leaseback, shared access to oil etc. Idealism would suggest the opposite.

edit: hey that poor pdf that I mentioned which cofty kindly linked to is being tossed about in turbulent waters but imo it uses quite a lot of pragmatic reasoning. Although admittedly it was written by an unkown

• cedars
    cedars

s+g - pragmatism also suggests that it won't come to a military conflict, because Argentina already knows it wouldn't stand a chance if it tried invading - hence all the diplomatic noise, it's their only outlet.

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit