Draconian Rules for Attending "Special Convention"

by BluesBrother 137 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

British dubs are invited to attend a Special Convention next Summer in Dublin , Irish Republic. O K, this kind of trip has been done many times before. However I have never seen such a crude and rigid set of rules that would apply to their own people going on a trip, at their own expense of course. As I understand it, they must book their own flights but then these intructions start to apply :-

There is more but I have only obtained a copy of the first page...

NB. Their requirements

1) Over 19's who are Elders, Pioneers, M/S or family that are EXEMPLARY only, may go.

3) Not too much overweight !..or in need of assistance (might be a burden ) How Christian is that?

4) The convention is three days but one has to book seven nights at the swanky venue which doubles as a Hotel and conference centre. Just get a look at this place....Things sure have changed since we used to spend days shivering or sweltering in crumbling old football stadiums.

http://www.citywesthotel.com/

Scroll down and view the 360 degree tour . I found it jaw dropping....

"Applicants must be exemplary in every respect including dress and grooming". See the "Bethel visit brochure" .. O K , I can even accept that in the conference centre, [I am a reasonable man] but to dress for a meeting in a collar, tie and jacket for sightseeing ! for God's sake??? So you undertake to dress up like a prat when taking the family around Dublin Zoo in your extended stay, or when you treat yourself to a quiet trip to the Guinness Brewery while the girls go shopping.....Hmmm , I think not.

And then the second last paragraph calmly advises (or warns) that if one should lose the valuable "exemplary status" between booking and travelling , you are banned from the trip and have to forfeit all the money that you paid out!.. So you have made a personal booking with an airline and a hotel, but a third-party (the WTS ) now says that you must not take up that booking and bear all the costs............No, No, NO. There has to be something wrong with that...

As it says at the end, "Arrangements for this special convention are quite different from previous years"....I think you can say that again!

What does this tell us about The Borg??

• james_woods
    james_woods

I was just talking with poster Terry a few days ago and we both agreed that neither of us would be able to even recognize a JW convention as we have been away since the late 1970s.

This is NAZI. This is unbelievable behavior for a so-called christian church.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am so glad I am out of this cult!

• sir82
    sir82

International conventions used to be fun (well, relatively, anyway).Most of the time it was pretty much just like any other prepackaged tour, with the drawback that you had to sit for 3 or 4 days in the broiling sun on bleachers at the convention site. Still, if you were a full-on JW, even that had some charm.

Around the mid-90's the Society went into full fascist mode with their requirements. "You vill dress like this, you vill act like this...."

Looks like they are trying to outdo themselves now.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

After reading that the only question one is left with is, why bother?

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Paragraph 3 appears to me to potentially be in breach of disability discrimination laws in both UK and Ireland.

EHRC may be interested.

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder how they find enough jws to go with the WTS sanctions against college, having a career, and to pioneer and move into an apartment and drive a 15 year old car. Back when I was a teenage, most jws had little money and before that in my mother's day even less.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

New convention rules..

:No Cripples..

:People with health problems

:Wheel chairs

:Oxygen tanks

:Blind People

:Deaf people

:Fat people

And..

If your Disqualified from the Special WBT$ Convention..

Your screwed for all the money you spent..

I love those WBT$ Boys..

They`re absolutely Heartless!..

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/23213_10801148_2778_n.jpg

....................;-)...OUTLAW

• bohm
    bohm

It rubs the lotion on its skin...

• james_woods
    james_woods
    It rubs the lotion on its skin...

But still has black mole cancer...

Share this