Suicide - How many do you know within the JWs

by Lady Lee 234 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I knew of one, a friend in my congregation growing up. Another just a few years ago in the congregation that shares with the one I attended. Another was a brother of a friend of my wife and he died just after we got married. I do not know how many my wife could think of but friend and some time poster on this forum, spoke to me about a rash of suicides somewhere in the mid west were he once was. They were all teens and with in a couple of years at least 6. It got so bad I believe he said they were giving talks in that area trying to stem the tide.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Suicides amongst witnesses I think is rare its those who are close to witnesses that are in danger . Just my experiance I've known several closely associated who have taken thier life.
  • kaik
    kaik
    Suicide among JWs are common. The saddest thing is that due cult proximity of one another, they tends to go together and several people will kill themselves within short time span. My mom was a friend with one lady who was these JWs who never married and available after Armageddon. She had several suicide attempts, once she jumped under train which mauled her, but she survived. Several months later she succeeded, but she destroyed everything in her house and all her clothing. I was with that woman in Strahov assembly in 1991 and I still do not grasp why she went the way she did. Several years later, entire JW family died outside Prague by driving into the countryside, put plastic tube into the car exhaust pipe and killed themselves and their children. Exactly the same case happened 10 year later, but different congregation couple who also killed themselves the same way with two children. I wonder often if these two families knew each other.
  • Watchtower-Free
  • James Jack
    James Jack
    Charles Corbin Wampler Indiana April 2015
  • kairos
    kairos

When I was pretty new, 1990?, a young woman in our hall drove off to rmote location and shot herself in the gut with a shotgun. Her name was Laura. This was Fairfield, CA.

A JW relative of mine has tried many times by cutting, even successfully smuggling razors into the mental institute. Possible that being raped at Bethel may have had someting to do with this. If she lives past 50 it will be borderline miraculous as the prescription drugs she is on have trashed her organs.

I know many JWs that have admitted suicidal thoughts.

To be honest, I would venture to guess that *everyone* has pondered the thought or are not honest with themselves.

• Irish Dame
    Irish Dame
    I know of 6 people within the last 3 years who have committed suicide. Some were df'ed, faded, one an active JW and one was a relative df'ed for just 3 months. People definitely need to be enlightened / educated about depression, that it is an insidious and sometimes deadly disease. The truth about depression and suicide. Please read and share this article from Washington Post, March 23 2016 :
    "I told the truth in my sister's obituary, so that others might choose to live"http://wpo.st/shET1

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock
    I know 6 or 7. Loner type people usually but one that I was close to had some mental issues that surfaced occasionally. He went through a crazy manic phase barely sleeping. He came back to the organization and was doing family worship twice a week. The insomnia was what pushed him over the edge I think. I miss him. I don't know if he knew ttatt. I didn't know ttatt myself at the time. I can't help but wonder.
  • Naoscillator
    Naoscillator
    I know of two active JWs and one former JW who did the deed. Two of these three people were related to me by marriage.
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I know of 3 jws personally. All were active at their time of death. I could probably name that number again of one's I heard about but didn't know them personally.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit