Got Disfellowshipped!

by time2keepmoving 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• time2keepmoving
    time2keepmoving

Well, I was disfellowshipped about 2 weeks ago. I was in it for ten years and it was 9 years and 11 months too long. I honestly don't know why it took me so long to do my research on this organization. I feel like if I had this information back in early 2000, I would not have gotten baptized. I decided to live my life and not worry about what the W&TS has to say about it, so they disfellowshipped me for resuming a relationship with my ex-husband. We are actively working on restoring our relationship and possibly remarrying. He is the love of my life and we have two grown children together. I still love him and I want to try and work things out.

They disfellowshipped me for having a physical encounter with him outside of marriage. Let me state that I was remorseful, but I questioned the actions of the elders. See I personally knew of a relative (who attended the same hall) who left his family, moved out of the home, did not support his wife after he left (she did not get one dime from him) then shortly after committed adultery, yet was only publicly reproved; they got pissed off because I brought that up and questioned their decisionmaking, they disfellowshipped me. So I say okay cool, no problem, I was going to disassociate anyway. So whatever. Not pressed in the least!

I only have one relative that is a JW now, the rest of my family is not in organization. I also did not really have any strong friendships with any of the people in my KH except for 2 or 3 individuals. I hate the fact I wasn't going to be able to communicate with them anymore, but am more than capable of moving on. If they chose to listen to them and not speak to me, that's their decision as grown individuals, their lost.

I do have friends outside of the organization I never stop communicating with and I'm glad I never severed those relationships (I ain't stupid) after getting bapitzed. I thought it was dumb to just kick those people to the curve just because they said it would be so-called bad association. I was old enough (in my forties) to make that call on my own, I didn't need any help from them. The individual I dealt with outside the org. respected the fact that I was a JW and never said anyting demeaning about the religion, nor ever encouraged me to leave. We actually didn't talk about religion much per say and just focused on mutual interests. Yet at every turn, all the JW's did was talk loads of mess about other religions. They seemed obsessed with running other religions into the ground, to make it seem like they're the only viable option, yet those organizations don't give them the time of day. A hit dog will always holler the loudest. I always thought anybody talking the most junk, is trying to deflect from their own madness!

See I was half-in and half-out. I never totally drank the kool-aid. I did the bare minimum when I was in because I always felt in the back of my head 'hey, what if these people are lying to me?'

I defintitely still have faith in God, what I don't have faith in is big-box organized religion like the JW's aka W&TS. Their whole format is so cold, generic and cookie-cutter. I just can't anymore. It was getting too stressful for me to stay in and I was really started to dread the days I had to go to the meetings. I thought the FS was a exercise in futility that was killing my time to rest and regroup on the weekends from a long work-week; not to mention the people in the KH were so fake and phoney, I rarely stayed after the meetings to associate. I starting feeling like they were asking me to accept low-level relationships with these people that I really, really didn't know just because they went to the KH. I had better, more sincere relationships with the few individuals I was close to outside of the KH who I knew for years, then I did in.

I also got tired of the constant badgering and creative guilty-tripping the organization was doing about going out in FS. Every ministry school it was more and more badgering about "how can you increase your time in the FS, how to do more in the FS, starting a doorstep bible study, are you making the most of your return visits, are you doing all you can, are you witnessing informally, are you taking advantage of evening witnessing, can you make it a habit to go out on Sundays" that mess never stopped. I felt like they don't give a woot about me as a person, do they? All they want me to do is slave away in the FS. The heck with what am going through, what am feeling or helping me develop a better personal relationship with God. Just get out there in FS, that's their answer for every single thing! Just read our literature, go to our meetings and get out in FS, that all you need. Like some 1-2-3 diet plan. Follow our plan/ format and you will (lose 100 pounds in 2 months) experience a spiritual paradise. I kept waiting............

One day I just said enough already. I'm not happy, in fact I'm miserable and this organization has turned something as intimate and personal as one's relationship with God into some burdensome, cold, depressing and frustrating. Time to go! Glad am out! Only regret is that I didn't leave sooner.

• therevealer
    therevealer

good for you on being strong and standing up for YOU!!!

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Hey time2keepmoving,

Great to have you on the forum. Everytime someone posts their story here its amazing how its the same thing, no matter where we are. Do more, do more, do more.

Cookie cutter is right, no room for individualism. Its so bland and tiresome, month after month, year after year, decade after decade for some of us. Glad to hear you are moving on.

LG

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Congratulations. Getting free from this cult is always a cause for celebration, no matter the route you take into it and out of it!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Welcome to your life!

You resumed a relationship with your ex with who you have children and that is "wrong"?!?!?

It's so sad, the Rule Oriented approach to worship as prescribed the WTBTS ends up being exactly the opposite of what it claims to be.

Looking forward to hearing more from you here!

00DAD

• nugget
    nugget

Making a clean break is often a good thing you can focus on the important relationships in your life. I wish you well with rekindling the romance with you ex husband, not being in the organisation will be a big help with that.

• time2keepmoving
    time2keepmoving

Thanks guys, I just wish I could get my lone relative out. Now the organization has her on a island all by herself, and she know good and well she can't count on the 'friends' for any real sincere, long-term support, they are fair-weather friends and when 'the machine' tells them to stop talking to her she wil be out there with his butt swinging in the breeze.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Congratulations!!!!!! I have to ask though after reading this........

See I was half-in and half-out. I never totally drank the kool-aid. I did the bare minimum when I was in because I always felt in the back of my head 'hey, what if these people are lying to me?'

What was it that made you get involved with JWs in the first place, if you don't mind me asking? What were the circumstances that caused you to bite the hook? I'm curious.

• time2keepmoving
    time2keepmoving

My parents were witnesses in the 70's, I was exposed by default as a child. I left at 17 then went back at 40 because I was having some kind of mid-life crisis for lack of a better phrase. However, instead of trusting them and going back on blind trust (trust they had not earned) I should have done my research. It was early 2000 at that time so I don't know how much info was out on the web at that point.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

this organization has turned something as intimate and personal as one's relationship with God into some burdensome, cold, depressing and frustrating. Time to go!

Very well said Time2keepmoving. Congratulations on being out in one healthy piece, and welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit