i spoke with an elder about university

by MsGrowingGirl20 48 Replies latest jw friends

• MsGrowingGirl20
    MsGrowingGirl20

he always tells me that i've adopted him as a father...we're pretty close. I spoke with him asking for some advice about whether or not to pursue my degree.He, to my surprise, couldn't give me his opinion.He told me that if he tells me how he really feels (he says he has some strong views on the matter) he may be disciplined for 'promoting higher education'....in effect he was telling me to go ahead and pursue my degree but not really saying it. he then went on to apologise for not being able to answer straight forward but he said that there are many things in the org that he's confused about (i thought if your confused, then who am i?!!)

He asked me to promise him that i'll speak to the presiding overseer and the circuit overseer....i haven't as yet. after reading the first 50 pages in crisis of conscience i made up my mind last week....this is crazy!!!! there is no bible principle! nothing! so what, i cant serve Jehovah while in university?!! come on! u can hardly get a job without a degree....so i applied and i GOT THROUGH!!!! why was i giving MEN so much control over my life?

• 2tone
    2tone

Just be careful of the things you say to elders and other people. Trust nobody. Assume anybody will rat you out for the littliest thing.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Enjoy college it is a great experience. Goofy story I got a premo job at Bethel BECAUSE i had a college degree (associates) and advance training (mechanics)

• james_woods
    james_woods
    He, to my surprise, couldn't give me his opinion.He told me that if he tells me how he really feels (he says he has some strong views on the matter) he may be disciplined for 'promoting higher education'....in effect he was telling me to go ahead and pursue my degree but not really saying it.

And doesn't that really tell you all you need to know about the mind-control nature of this organization?

They are going to decide for people whether or not to go to college??? (and, of course - always tell them not to...)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Congrats on your getting through and on to college. You cannot be DF'ed for going to college, but they very strongly consider it a bad choice and people with status titles like pioneer or MS or elder have their qualifications reviewed often if they go or promote it or support their family member to go.

Go to college. You can figure out things as you learn about WT and other things, but you may never get another chance to go to college.

We're here for you.

• 2tone
    2tone

Id like to hear your story. Why not start a thread giving us an introduction if you feel comfortable. Just be careful not to give any info to reveal yourself.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

"He asked me to promise him that i'll speak to the presiding overseer and the circuit overseer....i haven't as yet."

Please don't do that. No good will come of it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

in other words, he won't carry the big stick but he will send u to those who will yield it. Keep that conversation to yourself, even if it comes up afterwards

• james_woods
    james_woods
    "He asked me to promise him that i'll speak to the presiding overseer and the circuit overseer....i haven't as yet."
    Please don't do that. No good will come of it.

Mrs. Jones is exactly right - anyway, you have already made up your own mind. You do not need their interference.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

My father was not a Witness and he insisted that I attend university. Even though I don't utilize my degree now, I am eternally grateful that he forced me to go. I see now, it has to do with brain development, something that is essential for survival. I know that if I apply myself in whatever I do, I will make a success. However, be warned, if you do go to college or university, you will be treated as a leper in the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit