i am a regular pioneer in my cong reading crisis of conscience.here goes...

by MsGrowingGirl20 206 Replies latest jw friends

• just Ron
    just Ron

welcome ms growing girl 20

• Fernando
    Fernando

Welcome MsGrowingGirl20 !

I have discovered that "the truth" is a person, not doctrine or dogma! (John 14:6)

I now identify as SBNR (Spiritual But Not Religious), and as a simple Jesus follower.

I have come to the conclusion that the "god of religion" and the "God of Abraham" are enemies.

God speaks to all of us all the time. We simply have to tune in by means of pursuing and yielding to the full unabridged "good news" ABOUT JESUS.

Here is a summary of Ray's second book "In Search of Christian Freedom" - g79 6/8 pp. 27-28 Why the Emphasis on Christian Freedom? This great article denounces the religious practice of trying to attain self-righteousness by means of following the supposedly "right" rules - a practice called "legalism".

• designs
    designs

If you have the time and inclination take some college courses on the sciences and humanities and then reassess you views on life.

• jws
    jws

Like people say, take it slow. There are going to be a lot of emotions going on now.

Right now, you're probably very upset with the JWs. You're finding out they aren't being led by God and have no more right to claim your alliegence than any other religion. You're finding out that being men, they've made decisions that have hurt people's lives. You're disgusted, you want out.

Yet you've been taught Jehovah works through an organization. And maybe that thought is still in your mind. So you're looking to what's next. What group/organization should I go to next?

You've also come here to where other ex-JWs hang out. And that's also probably frightening you too. You see which directions we've gone in and in some ways it sounds like all the warnings the JWs gave you about all the bad things that happen when you leave the organization.

Sure, you can probably see that we aren't what was portrayed from convention stages. You were told we'd all be on drugs, bitter, brooding, screwing indiscriminantly, maybe into spiritism, gambling, smoking, and other vices. You can see we're not all like that. Most importantly, we're not miserable and longing to be back at a congregation to make us happy again.

But religiously, that's a different story. Religiously, you know the JWs are not the true religion and reject the leadership, but you probably believe most of the major JW doctorine (no trinity, no hell, new world, ressurection, etc.). You come here and see that some have gone to other religions that you've been shown over the years are wrong and now people are accepting doctrines are in direct contrast to what you believe.

You also see that some of us have made the slide down the slope to agnosticism or athieism. And that scares you because regardless of how messed up the JWs are, you still believe in God.

I don't know what to tell you. Each person's journey is their own to make. You'll be free to do what you want to do soon.

Be careful with that freedom. I've seen some people with their chains off go crazy - do all the things that were warned of from convention stages. And maybe a little bit of that is the natural rebellion against what you've been in. But try to keep your head and don't get too caught up in rebellion. Just because the JWs aren't the true religion, doesn't mean life is a free-for-all.

And watch out for emotional lows too. Not sure what your story is. Whether you grew up JW, whether you have family in, or what. But learning that what you were taught and trusted as truth is wrong can have an eventual emotional effect. Perhaps for the rest of your life. Perhaps you will never fully trust anybody or anything again. It was real comfortable to have all the true answers. Now you will be confronted with other religious arguments, some directly conflicting each other, but each with powerful arguments, what are you supposed to accept and reject? It's going to be tough.

There are times you will be confused and not know what to do. Don't let it get you down. You will come back to balance eventually.

So follow the advice of others. Right now, you're emotions are racing with what you've discovered. But take it slow and calm and rational. Some of the choices you make now can't be undone.

But you have friends here now. Bounce it off us. We'll respond. See what we say and do what feels right. Sometimes just hearing from others who have been through it is enough.

And welcome. Best wishes for you and your journey ahead.

• mouthy
    mouthy

jws Very good advice

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Wow, is this the longest welcome thread ever??? lol...I think mine was only about 3 pages long ;-) j/k...WELCOME to the board!!! This place is my therapy and I dont get a bill for $100/hr! Everyone has already given good advice, and I'll just add, "I was where you are" It's tough at first, but does get easier.

off topic, Billy the x Bethelite said something I liked:

"How do u worship Him if at all?
    God, as I perceive him, doesn't need to be worshipped. Did your parents or grandparents demand to be worshipped? If I were God, I wouldn't be so shallow and superficial to demand that my creatures had to waste time and money serving me when they should help one another instead."

I always had that nagging thought growing up in the "truth" why does god want to be worshiped so much? of course, I felt guilty having the thought in the first place. But it's a good point to ponder...if we are made in gods image, do we feel the same thing? personally I hate being the center of attention. I used to feel uncomfortable if too many people congratulated me on a talk or something...oops gotta go quick sorry

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Slightly off topic, but tresdecu WELCOME ! add that to your welcome thread !

Good points by all in the above posts, we have been there,where you are, and know how hard to deal with it is, at first, but it gets easier and better, and soon morphs in to a damn good laugh !

So, enjoy the ride !

• mind blown
    mind blown

Hello Girl20...my heart goes out to you...

My chosen name "mind blown" is for the very reason of your mind set at the moment. I have been away from the WTS for sometime now and when I recently started research on my own...I was blown away by what I found. Ray Franz would have been sued for slander by the WTS.

I've thought about what I wanted to say to you as I don't want to be responsible either way for your desion, but i do agree with jws advice.

What I would like to tell you is, I have been in and still out. Many of the attitudes in are no better then the ones out. I have done almost everything there is to do out and still have a spritual thirst. The WTS can dictate all they want about love, however, it's obviously not effective enough for an embraching change within. From what I see in life.....the expression the shit rolls down is true......there is a problem.....however, what to do? If you still believe in the scriptures read them..but don't just cherry pick through......

There are many here who have various points of view. Some will resonate with you and others will not, however, you have the freedom, information, mind and heart to decide. Take it slow.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I hope this thread remains active. My mom and I made the mistake of sending a copy of one of the Franz books to relatives who were raised in the JWs but married outside and left. My mom ordered single copies. There was some trouble coordinating the reading. We could not believe the affirmation of what we experience. My mom was born-in and knew many of the Bethel luminaries. He was dead on when it came to personality descriptions. The relative was too reverential to her father, the first Witness on that side of the family. She could party, have freedom yet b/c my father was the male line, we were not allowed freedom. We were told the book was evil.

I have one book in my bookcase. How can I obtain a copy of the one I no longer have?

Franz's book was a major epiphany in my life. It remains the gold standard. Of course, the relative never endured meetings, FS, and conventions.

• MsGrowingGirl20
    MsGrowingGirl20

words cant explain how i feel i've finished reading crisis but i want to go over it again.....This is NOT God's organisation!?????? I DON'T KNOW WHAAT TO DOOO!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit