Did Jesus sacrifice really mean anything?

by highdose 83 Replies latest watchtower bible

• highdose
    highdose

Suspending for a minute the realisation that it never happened and instead looking at it as a beliver would...

Jesus had to endure a painful death, yes. But he knew that he would only be dead for three days and that afterwards he would get reserected and be able to mind F**k around with those who had put him to death. and then he would live for ever in a brand new body! That dosn't seem much like a trial to me? It never has. I often thought, "well if i had that certain hope to hold on to then i could probably accept such torcure."

And people do and have. Throughout history with out the hope of being raised three days later! And quite frankly followers of religon have suffered far more and for greater lengths of time in defense of their faith than Jesus did.

In face looking at it from those two angles then Jesus "sacrifice" wasn't very much at all??

And of course there was the added bonus that after he had done this he would then be worshipped and adored by a ton of humans for 100's of years!

anyone else thought about this?

• N.drew
    N.drew

First I will answer your last statement. Added bonus? No, God does not want misplaced "worship" and "adoration". God wants people to reflect love.

"Jesus" knew his death would cause division. But he did not live and die so the world would stay divided. He suffered more than you think because he knew only a very few would listen and learn.

• highdose
    highdose

very few would listen and learn? huge numbers have "listened and learnt" how is that suffering?

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I want to know by what right he took away the responsibility for my actions. I am more than capable of answering for the excellent life I have lived and I have no need of a sacrificial scapegoat to be nailed and whipped on my behalf. I want none of that sordid sickness.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Please supply your data for "many have listened and learnt"

"Jesus" is a world wide phenomenon so "very few" out of all the people for 2000 years plus are a lot of people.

To claim to believe in Christ and even to live like you believe in Christ does not mean living according to accurate knowledge. That is the goal.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Highdose, I agree. I used to struggle with the value of Jesus' death. Really, he took a 3 day nap. How was this the ultimate gift for mankind? If you take the emotion out of all of this, the reality is that it's pretty insignificant in terms of the sacrifice. We even asked elders about this, and never really got any good answers in my opinion.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Q? You have no proof that Earth would still be inhabitable without what the Messiah has accomplished.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

I've thought about this myself. For something to be a sacrifice, there must be a net loss - otherwise, it's not a sacrifice.

Through ressurrection, Jesus's "sacrifice" was nullified. Nothing was actually lost. It's like me saying I'm going to sacrifice $100 and then having someone hand me $100 right back. Nothing lost.

For Jesus's death to have been a "sacrifice", it would have to have been permanent.

- Lime

• N.drew
    N.drew

I have seen what Christ did sacrifice. I know it's real, but like some of you I admit I might understand it incorrectly. If I understand it correctly it is a whole sacrifice. But call me bluffing, because you will, but as a wise woman once said, I'm not going to throw pearls for swine to trample.

AGuest I apologize for clowning around. I hope you will be back!

• highdose
    highdose

and you have no proof that the messiah ever exsisted or indeed ever accomplished anything.

The earth on the other hand had been around for 1000's of years before Jesus ( if he ever exsisted) ever came along. And has continued unabashed ever since. The only difference between the two eras has been the sheer number of wars fought in the name of god and jesus. Also the sheer number of lives lost and damaged by religon.

But i digress, getting back to the point. Did this sacrifice mean anything? Was it really that noble? Jesus basicaly took a three day nap ( yes i agree) and then got a brand new body and imortality. i think i'd be willing to go through a cross/ stake thing if it meant i got imorality.

And all this to score a point for gods ego? That he alone has the right to rule? did it really take all that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit